Crazy idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjcoss

Reaction score
I brew with a number of guys and we tend to have very different tastes with regards to types of beer. I like stouts and porters, as well as some of the Belgian brews that I had while I was on assignment in Antwerp. Others like the hoppy beers, the hoppier the better. Some like pilsners.

I recently tried my hand at doing an all-grain brew, doing batch sparging and noticed that we created quite a bit of wort, and that it looked like we could have run another batch sparge to get even more wort, although I suspect at a lower SG. And that kind of got me thinking. Could you build a set of recipes for different styles of beers starting from a base wort drawn off a single mash.

I was thinking that I'd like to do next a Belgian Golden Strong Ale or Blond Ale, which looking at various recipes is really a belgian pale malt + sugar (candi, beet) + some spices. So what else could be made from a wort drawn off of that base? Could you add DME/LME to adjust for style to the initial wort to get something like an IPA or a Irish Red? Obviously the yeast and hops would be different per batch, but is there any way to sort of gage the fermentables in the subsequent sparges or should I just increase the amount of malt for the target quantity?

Probably just a crazy idea, but I like the see how the resultant beers would differ.

Sure, it's called parti gyle.

You typically brew one strong beer and one lower strength one. I just recently did a stout/porter pair and it went well.

You can find a lot of complex spreadsheets and formulas for figuring out the brews but I admit I just brewed the stout per recipe and ran another seven gallons through the grain for the porter. I did use candi syrup to boost the porter.

I do stuff like this a lot since i have a 15 gallon system and like to get 2 different batches from one boil. The base recipe for a triple is not far off from a Dortmunder export, the additional sugar for the triple is added in the primary to get in-range for the OG for the style, and the base wort without the sugar makes a darn good easy-drinking lager, FWIW.

Latest posts

Back