Crazy idea for a beer.....or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthelm85

Reaction score
I had this idea to make a really fruity beer, kind of like an oud bruin or flanders red ale just without the tartness. Here's the recipe I designed:

83% Maris Otter
7% Gambrinus Honey Malt
7% Special B
3% Brown Malt

.5 oz Brewer's Gold (60 mins)
.75 oz Brambling Cross (15 mins)
.75 oz. Brambling Cross (5 mins)

Ferment with Wyeast 3942 Belgian Wheat.

Target OG: 1.046, FG: 1.013, IBU: 28, BU/GU: .6, ABV 4.5%, SRM: 17

I think 7% Special B will lend a good bit of raisin and dried fruit flavors and the Brewer's Gold and Brambling cross should add a black currant and slightly spicy note. Couple that with the Apple, plum, bubble-gum aromas you get from the 3942 and this should be a very complex beer with dark/dried fruit flavors. I thought some honey malt would accompany those flavors nicely and a little brown malt would help to add some complexity and round it out.

It would probably be better with a higher ABV and aged for a while but I want to try to make it smaller so it can be a beer that you can have a few of without getting too buzzed.

It will probably be a while before I brew this but what do you guys think?

Seems like a good recipe to me. One comment though, if you want to get any flavor out of the Brewer's Gold you will need to add it between 30-0 minutes. A 60 minute addition isn't going to leave you with any aroma or flavor components as they will all be boiled off given that much time.

Was thinking that too, maybe trade some cross for bittering and move some gold for a late addition. Maybe, something like this:

0.50 Brewer's Gold 60min
0.50 Bramling Cross 60min
0.50 Bramling Cross15min
0.50 Brewer's Gold 5min
0.50 Bramling Cross 5min
Total IBU: 29.1

I would only use Bramling Cross as later additions to avoid astringency issues usually associated with them.

Sounds delicious to me, then again I like really malty beers. I'm brewing a Barleywine this weekend with 74% Maris otter, 12% Munich, 6% cherry smoked malt, 4% special B and 4% honey malt.

I would say throw in some Munich and that may give you some fruity flavors as well. Also, why not use an English yeast?

Back