Crazy fermentation Festa Brew double oatmeal stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stieger2012

Reaction score
I pitched the yeast Sunday afternoon (Salfbrew S33) and came home from work today and the blow off is going nuts! I have about 9 or 10 brews under my belt but none of them have ever fermented this vigorously. Is it "normal" to have this much activity? Temperature is about 63.

Sent from my C6506 using Home Brew mobile app

I just brewed a stout myself and yes the fermentation went nuts. To the point where my blowoff tube made enough of a mess that it built up and spilled over and made a mess on the floor.

Good luck and keep an eye on the bucket of Sanitizer.

I pitched the yeast Sunday afternoon (Salfbrew S33) and came home from work today and the blow off is going nuts! I have about 9 or 10 brews under my belt but none of them have ever fermented this vigorously. Is it "normal" to have this much activity? Temperature is about 63.

If you have happy yeast, yes!
I have had high gravity beers push enough air through an inch-wide blow-off tube to make the bucket on the other end look like a Jacuzzi. With a Belgian Strong Dark recently, so much trub and yeast blew out that I had to empty the bucket or it would overflow (it was already 3/4 full with sanitized solution.)

Is the temperature of the room 63, or the beer? When you have fermentation that active, you might want to check the temperature of the beer itself. Vigorous fermentation can raise the temperature of the beer quite a bit (I've seen it get 10 degrees higher than the room temperature.) In your case, if it is an ale you should be fine since 10 degrees higher than room temp is only 73F which is fine in most cases.

63 is the temperature of the beer. I checked it before heading to work this morning and it was still going crazy. I have the blow off tube going into a wine bottle with sanitizer in it but at this rate I hope It doesn't overflow before I get home. I will probably switch to a bigger container. If quite a bit of trub has gone into the sanitizer in the bucket do you dump it out and put fresh sanitizer back in??

Sent from my C6506 using Home Brew mobile app

You can empty the bucket and put fresh stuff back in, but I rarely do. I just use a big enough container to hold it all and then dump when fermentation is done.

Back