CRAP! Did I destroy this must???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msarro

Reaction score
Used 1/4 tsp of p-meta by accident for a 1 gallon batch. I usually make 1.25 cup of boiled water and add the 1/4 tsp, but SWMBO and I were frantically working in the kitchen and I accidentally threw in all the water I had boiled, instead of just 1/5th of it. Absentmindedness screwed me over on this one.

3-4 days of offgassing maybe?

I am using 2lbs of wildflower honey, and 2lbs of fresh peach puree. Any danger of the puree going bad??

Right now I have it sitting with cheesecloth over the spout, held in place by a rubber band.

I'll be using safale s04, pitched approximately 2.5 heavier than normal (2 packets for 5 gal of ale, using one full packet rehydrated for this 1 gal jug). I'll also be using fermaid k (can't get fermaid o locally) as a nutrient.

I know it's only a gallon batch, but I'd really not like to waste the honey and peaches.

I'd say more than 3-4 days of stirring! Stir it, stir it, stir it. Keep it covered with a towel (not an airlock) so it can off gas when you're not stirring.

Then I'd make a yeast starter, sort of. I'd start by rehydrating the yeast, then adding some of the must diluted with water (mostly water). If it starts foaming and continues, I'd do that again and again with slightly more must, and make sure it keeps going. Once you have it going well, try adding straight must in a small amount and see if it keeps going. If it does, you may be able to pitch the whole starter and overcome the mega-dose of sulfite.

If you had to venture a guess (if you have any idea), when would it be offgassed enough to even think about kicking off a starter?

Looking at the product I used:
1/8 tsp / gallon = approx. 100 ppm free SO2

So right now i'm looking at 200ppm free SO2 :(

If I'm using an ingredient that needs sulphite before pitch I just leave it 24 to 48 hours stirring a couple of times daily and then pitch.

Sometimes it just increases the lag by a day or two but never been a problem per se.......

Well, I let it sit until yesterday evening, shaking whenever I walked by it. I rehydrated the yeast in a small bit of water, and mixed 1/16 cup water and 1/16 cup of must together and added it. I also added a smidgen of fermaid, and about 1/2 tsp of plain honey.

I checked this morning, and it appears to foaming up nicely. I'll try adding another dose of must, this time 1/8 cup must and 1/16 cup water. Tomorrow pure must. If it keeps foaming, I'll be adding it to the must on friday. Fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back