Craigslist Chest Freezer Find: Yes or No?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I paid about the same amount for a similar sized freezer that I use as a keggerator. The dimensions are listed on the ad so measure it out and see if you have the space. The only thing is if the interior dimensions are anything like my 5.3 Haier you will only be able to get one bucket on the floor. If you made a little shelf you might be able to get a second bucket on the hump/shelf. I just estimated by holding a bucket over the kegs so that could be off a bit.

Seems like a good deal, just make sure you can get both your fermenters in there. I like the idea of a new open box item, means the motor should be in good shape.

One thing I'd suggest, unless you've already spent the money on the dual stage regulator and the aquarium heater, don't bother.... We live in SoCal for a reason. Up to you of course, but I've never had any issues with my wort getting too cold in an insulated fermentation chamber.

You can also do a small lightbulb (20-40 watt) under a coffee can to add just a little bit of heat and let the cooler counter that. Works well if you have a small period of time where it is on the cool side but most if the year is hotter.

If you are going to use cornies for fermentors, you are probably okay. I have a freezer that size and I had to add a collar to ferment a carboy in it. The carboy wouldn't fit down into the "well" part of the freezer.

Back