Craft Brewing Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geologyguy

Reaction score
Well I have been brewing for about a year now and It's time to try a brewing competition. I was wonder for all you competition brewers what are some things I need to be thinking about when brewing for a competition? I have no clue what judges are looking for and what techniques you use. Like the Do's and Dont's??? I want to make New Mexico Look proud at the Sun City Craft Beer Fest!!!!

If it's a BJCP competition (most are) then make sure your beer fits the particular style guidelines or else you won't score well, even if you submit a most fine entry.

I looked at the website http://suncitycraftbeerfest.com/index.htm and I couldn’t figure it out. The only mention of styles was

Category 1: Light Lager
Category 2: October Fest
Category 3: Hefeweizen
Category 4: Pale Ale
Category 5: IPA
Category 6: Brown Ale
Category 7: Porter
Category 8: Stout

The categories are really broad. There’s no mention of the BJCP. I don’t know how you can have a competition without style guidelines.

I would contact the organizers for clarification.

Brewing to style is the biggest part of comps. Once you have a style picked out I try to look at award winning recipes for that category. You will see a lot of similarities within recipes for most styles. It keeps you on track.

I looked at the website http://suncitycraftbeerfest.com/index.htm and I couldn’t figure it out. The only mention of styles was

Category 1: Light Lager
Category 2: October Fest
Category 3: Hefeweizen
Category 4: Pale Ale
Category 5: IPA
Category 6: Brown Ale
Category 7: Porter
Category 8: Stout

The categories are really broad. There’s no mention of the BJCP. I don’t know how you can have a competition without style guidelines.

I would contact the organizers for clarification.

I know right I was going to submit a brown ale. But which one do I do hahaha. I will email them and see about the bjcp.

While the site does not clearly state it is a BJCP event it does state that entries will be judged on each style category and I will assume that means BJCP style guideines. Visit www.bjcp.org and review the guidelines for the specific styles you might be interested in entering.

It is important that your entry match the guidelines as close as possible or it will get dinged in points for each attribute it is off on. Mind you it could be an amazing beer but if your IPA tastes like a wheat it will be judged poorly. IF you are unsure how a particular style should taste then at the bottom of each guideline commercial brands are referenced for each style. Pick up something to try and brew something similar for that style.

Good luck!

There is also a link on the bjcp site for upcoming competitions. It helps to plan ahead and have beers brewed so that they are within a window of when they are best to drink.

In my experience, I find the bigger BJCP comps to provide the better, more consistent feedback. Sometimes smaller comps are more like "beer tasting events" than true BJCP competitions - or, there are fewer qualified judges and your beer might be judged based on if the judge likes the way it tastes, as opposed to meeting style criteria. Not always - but overall, my better feedback has come from the bigger, more established comps (500-1000 entries).

It is important to read through and understand the style guidelines somewhat so you are entering beers in the right category. It is not that hard to figure them out - especially if you use a brewing software that shows you the criteria of the category you say your beer is (iBrewmaster does this, and I am sure others do also).

If you find yourself trying to decide if your beer is an American pale ale or and IPA, or an ordinary bitter vs. a premium bitter and you are "on the line" for gravity, bitterness, etc.... I have found that I am usually more successful entering a bigger version of a beer in the lower category.... as opposed to entering a "small" IPA, for instance.

Depending on what your goal is with competitions, one bit of advice I would give is this. If your goal is to get honest feedback to improve your ability to brew beers to style, I think it is necessary to enter the same beer, from same batch, in 3 or even 4 comps about the same time. Then you will get a much broader set of score sheets and you can really see what things come up as consistently good or bad. 1 comp kind of leaves the possibility that your feedback could be a bit hit and miss due to experience of judge, whether they like the style, did it follow a great beer (or a horrible one), random luck, etc. Not that you have to send every beer in to 4 comps. But, for beers that I am really trying to dial in, I send them in 3-4 places.

Overall, I have found that starting to enter comps. in the last year and a half has really helped me improve my beer.

While the site does not clearly state it is a BJCP event it does state that entries will be judged on each style category and I will assume that means BJCP style guideines. Visit www.bjcp.org and review the guidelines for the specific styles you might be interested in entering.

It is important that your entry match the guidelines as close as possible or it will get dinged in points for each attribute it is off on. Mind you it could be an amazing beer but if your IPA tastes like a wheat it will be judged poorly. IF you are unsure how a particular style should taste then at the bottom of each guideline commercial brands are referenced for each style. Pick up something to try and brew something similar for that style.

Good luck!

Okay thank you very much for the information!!!

Back