Craft a Brew DME Dry Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AppyWyn

Reaction score
Had a day off today so I decided to finally get around to having a brew day for my Dry Irish Stout kit. This was my first attempt at a DME brew (previous two have been Brooklyn Beer/All Grain). Everything was going pretty good until it was time I filled my carboy. The amount of wort was very very low and I had to put a significant amount of water in just to get it to the 1 gallon mark. I continued with pitching the yeast and its sitting now but I am worried that its going to be heavily watered down.

Looking at their instructions I see "Add cool water if needed to about an inch below the “one gallon” fill line." It sounds like you did the right thing. Note that an Irish Stout is usually a fairly low alcohol beer style.

Nothing worth worrying about. Beer was made and it will likely turn out ok.

It appears you had a high boil off rate. What was your starting boil volume? How much water (cups, pints, ...) did you add to the carboy?

I started off with 1 gallon as per the instructions but then I had to add nearly 4 cups.

Looking at their instructions I see "Add cool water if needed to about an inch below the “one gallon” fill line." It sounds like you did the right thing. Note that an Irish Stout is usually a fairly low alcohol beer style.

I think it was just the pure amount that I had to add back into the carboy that threw me off. Thanks for the heads up about the low alcohol. I will follow up tomorrow after I get some fermentation going.

So to follow up on this, the process of the beer went well but I added something to the beer that I shouldn't have and it absolutely killed the taste so it had to be dumped. The main question that I had is in regards to carbonation. I bottled it in swing top bottles. I put one in the fridge to test, when opened, it gave a solid pop and it poured great. When I opened up the warm ones to dump, they popped very hard and bubbled out like when shaking a bottle of soda. Would this be normal or do I know for future brews that I put to much priming sugar in?

Back