Crack in autosiphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewer_in_the_cap

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just noticed what looks like a couple of cracks in the outer section of my autosiphon. I can't feel the crack if I run my nail over it so it might be on the inside, here's a pic.

If I continue to use it am I risking an infected brew?

Thanks,
NK

IMG_20141211_135129.jpg

Mine is the same, and though I shouldn't, I have used it dozens of times with no problems. I imagine I am pressing my luck. I do clean and sanitize before and after use.

How close to the bottom is it? If the beer never actually touches it when its submerged or sucking up your brew then you need not worry. If it does come in contact with the beer, then I would say you do have a potential risk of infection since little grubbies could hang out in the crack

At what point in the brewing process are you using your autosiphon? I don't have a large level of trust in them until post-fermentation where there is some alcohol to stave off what may be hiding in the tiny cracks that seem to be appear on them after their 3rd use.

Given how many pictures I've seen of infections incurred after racking from the primary fermenter and making additions, I have little (actually, no) faith in the philosophy that the alcohol in fermented beer will protect it from infectious agents.

That said, if I still used one and it had a small crack like the one pictured, I'd put a new autosiphon on my Christmas or birthday list, then sanitize the heck out of the cracked one and keep using it.

As was mentioned, if it's like an inch or more from the tip, once the siphon is started the sliding unit can be shoved all the way in so the crack is above the beer in the siphon...

Cheers!

Obviously infections can withstand alcohol, but it's a lot harder for a microscopic bit of lacto, brett, or wild yeast to take over when the yeast has already munched up 75% of available sugar and turned it into alcohol. Keep in mind that I'm talking about the stupid microcracks, and the number of cells that could be left over after cleaning and sanitizing.

Do you soak it in PBW/Oxi for long periods of time? I've had 2 develop cracks that way. I've continued to use them without any issues, but I'd sanitize them really well.

How close to the bottom is it?
It's around 6-8 inches, so there may be a second or 2 contact as the siphon starts.

At what point in the brewing process are you using your autosiphon?
I use it for racking to secondary and bottling.

That said, if I still used one and it had a small crack like the one pictured, I'd put a new autosiphon on my Christmas or birthday list, then sanitize the heck out of the cracked one and keep using it.
I think this will be the plan!

Do you soak it in PBW/Oxi for long periods of time?
I had just soaked it in hot water and Oxi for a couple of hours since I hadn't got around to cleaning it after racking a week and a half ago...

Thanks for the help!

Another concern with a cracked siphon tube is the possible aeration of the beer after fermentation. I noticed tiny air bubbles traveling through mine from a crack in my autosiphon when racking to kegs. Time for a new autosiphon.

Aside from risk of infection or aeration: if the crack is surfaced on the inside, each time you pump it to siphon, you risk chipping away some plastic that could wind up in your beer and/or tear apart the rubber washer at the end of the siphon "cane" which could also wind up in your beer.

I would replace it with a new one. I had similar cracks in mine. Even with cleaning and sanitizing I wound up with 2 infected batches and the cracked up autosiphon is the only thing I could pinpoint as a possible cause. I have since replaced it and two batches later. So far so good.

I think the cracks are from alcohol, I know, why would you make something out of plastic that cracks from alcohol that's used in liquids that contain the same??? I've seen many test jars from shiners that are extremely cracked.

Back