Crabapple trees in texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texbrewer79

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this sight, so I don't know if this has been discussed yet in a previous thread, but does anyone know of where I can get my hands on a few crabapple trees to plant in the Dallas area? Also, what types of crab apples do good in the Dallas climate? I am looking to take my cider making up a notch from the store bought juice type, not that you can't make some darn good cider that way also.

i cant speak for texas. Im from NY and i sold trees for a long time.We would never sell a crab apple that was bred for fruit all the crab apples that i have ever seen for sale will produce fruit but have been bred for ornamental purposes. I would recommend to buy bare root apple trees online for a fraction of what a nursery will charge you. Sure half of them might die but at 1/10th the cost who cares.
also if you are planting trees now expect to make cider in 4-7 years. my true recommendation is get in your truck and drive around for a while untill you find someone with a pasture who has apple trees that seem abandoned. Then from what I know about Texas you avoid a shotgun wielding make it great again americanask them politely if they would mind. Of course with the promise of free cider in the long run.

Apples need chill hours and can be tricky to grow in the south. I assume it's a consideration for crabs too. Suggest you determine your chill hours and make sure that the varieties you choose are compatible.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNFCiF74ONG7zrdy9Shv5RAhQ8qwXw

Edit: this link is for regular apples, but it explains chill hours etc. Looks like Dallas is in the 800 (650 to 950) range.

You can grow crab apple tree easily from seed. You put seeds in damp sand in a plastic bag in the fridge, till the seeds germinate. if you look in late summer/fall in your area you might be able to find some local crab apples you can get fruit from.

Back