CPVC/IPX Spigot Mash tun variant

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calgary222

Reaction score
Don't recall seeing this approach so will post just in case.

First of all thanks for all the ideas that flow through here - 95% of this is borrowed ideas.
Started with a colemen 52 quart extreme cooler that I already had and planned on building the same set up that other had here with the CPVC cage, flex tubing to brass outlet - but I had dropped by a smaller hardware store and they didn`t have the brass bits - but they did have this IPEX.

Pic 1 is the spigot a grabbed, 1/2" ball valve
Pic 2 are the fittings, the fitting on the right can receive the CPVC tubing directly and because this cooler has a collection trough, it just slides right in.
The threads on this fitting can be screwed into the coolers rubber ring and then passed through the hole in the cooler.

The fitting on the left has female threads to receive from the inside and the smooth part fits nicely into the spigot - this is the only joint I glued (I did Teflon the threaded connection. Note that I did have to push a bit to get the threads to grab, but I did get enough turn in that I am confident it is secure).

All in, minus the glue I already had was maybe $15 (in Canadian, so probably cheaper for most of you)...

First test run today was perfect, no issues and clean up was a breeze since I didn't glue up the interior bits.

Only trick with this will be to use a cooler like I had with a relatively thin wall at the pass-through point - oh, and it is totally reversible -

Cheers!

tun 1.jpg

tun2.jpg

tun 3.jpg

1) nice
2) super simple
3) i'm sure cheap

looks good!

Back