Couple questions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1fast636

Reaction score
Alright I'll post pics when I get home but got two questions for you guys.
1) I got a 15 gal extract container, if I cut the top off it and insulated the out side would it be good for a mash tun?
2) Our food fridge croaked on us Sunday pretty sure it's the compressor, is there a cheap solution to wher I could make it into a fermentation chamber? Cheap is key lol

When I get home from work ill post pic of them both

1. It depends on how it handles heat... I suspect it'd be fine, but you won't know until you try. If you cut the top off, fill it with 170F water, and it doesn't warp, you're probably fine. There is a chance, though, that's it's considered "food grade" at room temp, but not at mash temp, and I don't think there's an easy way to find that out.

2. You could do something like the "son of a fermentation chiller" setup but with a ready-made enclosure (i.e. the fridge) instead of having to build one...

If you can place the dead fridge in an environment where the outside ambient temp is cool (~60°) to really cool (~40°), then yeah, you could easily hook up something to heat the inside and use it as a fermentation chamber. Chances are, you don't have a space like that in your house for most of the year. So it will probably be best just to get rid of it.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399068343.644035.jpg
Blue extract container
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399068401.336374.jpg
Dead fridge don't mind the clutter

Latest posts

Back