Counterflow Chiller problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnichols

Reaction score
So awhile back I built myself a counterflow chiller. Testing it with clean hot water I got amazing results! The problem is when I used it with a hot wort it would get clogged with trub. I tried a mesh filter on end of siphon and that would get clogged. OK yes I thought about filtering the whole wort first but I din't want to risk a chance of infection.

My question is how have others dealt with these issues? Has anyone used a pump? What kind did you use?

Thanks in advance.

Whirpool, let it settle and draw the liquid via a diptube from the side instead of the center. It may not solve the problem 100% but it should help.

Has anyone used a pump? What kind did you use?

Oh, I didn't see this question earlier. My CFC is 3/8", as well, and I've let it gravity-drain before, but it takes way too long, so yeah, I would recommend using a pump - March 809.

When it clogged with pellet hops, were you using a lot of them?

Did you use a hop filter?

+1 hop spider. I have a similar sized counterflow chiller. I recirculate through my LG pump to the CFC and back into my kettle until I hit my temps. As it recirculates the little bit of trub that I get falls in the center. Hop spider is one of the best DIY items I've built .. and I highly recommend it to everyone. I spent less than 10$ on mine.

Question about the hop spider. What do you guys do when you're using a lot of pellet hops, like with a IIPA? Last time I used a lot of pellet hops, it took way too long to drain it because the hops barely let the wort flow out of the hop spider.

I do BIG IPAs with both pellets and whole hops. I use hop bags and I've never had a problem. We bag the hops for each addition and hang them on a hook in reverse order. That way it's just a grab and toss.

EarthBound, I brewed an English IPA with just over 5 ounces of pellet hops in the boil, using my hop spider. I find that once my recirculation chill is done, I can simply use sanitized [metal] tongs to get the wort out of the spider's bag. From what I've seen, my hop spider would be good for at least 6-8oz of pellet hops in it.

Get the bag large and long enough (get your minds out of the gutter :eek:) and you'll have enough room for the hops to move around in, as well as move them away from the mesh in order to drain the wort out of the bag area.

I was using hop bags before building the spider. One issue is securing the bag so that it doesn't roam free and possibly open up inside the kettle (thus negating the benefits from using it). Another is making sure the draw string is long enough to keep it in place, such as looped around the kettle handles. A single spider bag means you dump one bag, not several, after the wort is into the fermenter. It also means the pellets have more area to float around.

My hop spider bag, by itself, is 6" diameter and 18" long. I adjust the length via the ring and stainless hose clamp (with a thumb screw, so no tools needed).

I made my first spider for about $20, complete with threaded rod for the legs, hose clamp, acorn nuts for the inside end, and lock washers and nuts for outside the ring. Not counting tool use here, just raw parts. Depending on where you get your parts, the cost could be more, or less. The only tools I needed were a drill press and tap and die set. You could do away with the tap and die set, if you didn't want to thread the holes in the ring. I did that as an extra touch, but it's not necessary.

I'm talking small ones like this. There's no waiting for them to drain and they move around the kettle during boil.

For my whole hops I just use a a couple muslin bags. They really expand and float around like a crazy blob in the boil. Instead of tying a knot in the end of the bags, I just twisty tie them up with some thin copper wire I stripped out of a cord. Gives you more room in the bag. I think I'm just going to go ahead and get a slightly larger nylon sack and just tie it off to the handle on my kettle and open it up for each addition. Easy peasy :rockin:

I've never had a problem with my CFC clogging when using a hops bag. Mine isn't really a spider, just a 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag on a 4" heavy PVC coupler and a stainless steel coat hook upside down, so that it hangs on the side of the kettle. A stainless hose clamp intended for dryer vents completes the setup. I usually use pellet hops, but have used homegrown whole hops as well. It drains well when I just pull it up and hang it from the side of the kettle. It was about the simplest DIY project I've ever done; just drove two screws to attach the coat hook, and tightened the hose clamp. I guess I did predrill the screw holes. I keep cleaning the same bag with OxyClean when I'm cleaning up other stuff. Otherwise the bags are cheap enough they might not be worth the cost of the OxyClean. It all works well.

I have basically the same spider as ThreeDogsNE. A 4 in PVC coupler with a rod that goes all the way through it. I use a 5 gal paint strainer held on by a stainless hose clamp. Cost under 10$. When I chill I pull it out and hang it over the side of the kettle and push my stainless spoon into it to get the wort out. I've never had problems with my cfc getting any gunk in it. Note: I used to use hop sacks free floating but found they were killing my hop utilization. Didn't even realize it until I started using my hop spider .. probably one of the best DIY projects I've done with respect to impact to my beer and the cost.

+1 Jusware. Here's my uber easy setup.

image-1552445697.jpg

It's amazing how much liquid is contained in the strainer bag (I use the 5 gal paint strainer bags.) I use a large stainless spoon to lift /hold the bottom of the bag out of the wort as I'm starting to cool down through my CFC. I gives the bag a chance to drain the wort inside.

+1 Jusware. Here's my uber easy setup.

View attachment 39745

It's amazing how much liquid is contained in the strainer bag (I use the 5 gal paint strainer bags.) I use a large stainless spoon to lift /hold the bottom of the bag out of the wort as I'm starting to cool down through my CFC. I gives the bag a chance to drain the wort inside.

Yeah, when I lift it out, there's at least a couple gallons in it. How exactly does that spoon keep the bottom of the bag up?

A march pump can and will get clogged to. The best way to deal is to bag your hops and any other additions.

Back