Counter top water distiller, who has one?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
4 gallons in 24hrs may be a pain if you are collecting water for 5 gallon batches. There are no water machines or water stores near you? The branded machine around me are 25 cents per gallon (800 gallons for the $200), sometimes the mom and pop stores are cheaper.

What size batches are you doing? At 4 gallons a day it will take a lot of pre-planning to get water for a 5 gallon or larger batch.

I don't know much about home water distillers, but I would imagine heating all that water would use a lot of energy. Have you considered reverse osmosis? For about the same amount of money you can get a 40+ gallon a day unit that gets water that is plenty pure enough for brewing.

Why do you want to spend that kind of money on a distiller? They are energy hogs.
You can get a 75 gallon per day RO system off ebay for a little over $100.

Op if you are looking to also use it for products other than distilling water that's a better question on a different web forum.
:mug:

I think a much better buy would be a RO water system. They have DI models as well, but you don't need DI.

I paid $119 for my RO system a few years ago. They have gone up in price, but here's one that is very similar to mine and I love it:
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-4-stage-ro-only-system-75gpd-2.html

You can use this for drinking water or for making coffee also. You can get the same system with DI, but that's overkill for brewing.

Yeah after a little bit of research I can say that the distiller is not for me. RO system will be my next purchase along with a wards lab report.

Op if you are looking to also use it for products other than distilling water that's a better question on a different web forum.
:mug:

Nope, the SWMBO would ring my neck if I was doing something like that. Plus I enjoy beer more than said unintended use.

Also, that is not set up for distilling "other things." It is set up to heat the liquid to water boiling temps. If for some reason one wanted to distill something other than water, and that has a lower boiling temp, it would not work.

Back