Counter-Flow Chiller (OVER-CHILL)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarcrarc

Air Garcia
Reaction score
I just started using a counter-flow chiller. The problem is that once I realized that I didn't need to recirculate the chilling wort back into the boiler (which took forever to reach my fermentation temp) but rather just transfer it as it chills into the fermentor, I have the problem of it (the wort) being too cold. I live in the mountains of California and the water out of the tap in the winter is bitter cold, which is what I am using with the chiller. The wort is ending up at about 55 degrees into the fermentor! I am then needing about 2 hours for my ferm wrap to get the wort back up to 65 or so. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Would slowing the water flow down help?

Slowing the water flow or increasing the wort flow will both work... On a slightly more regional note, I wish my ground water would get below 70*F even in the Winter!

What yeast are you using? Many yeast work fine if pitched a bit cold and then allowed to warm to their preferred range. Some even like it that cold (55F, Nottingham) and make a very clean ferment.

Turn down or turn off the chilling water to increase temp of the wort flowing through the CF chiller.

Edit...turning off the chilling water may be a bad idea causing it to boil inside the chiller and spit out the output due to the steam generated.

Ps lots would love to have your problem lol

This brew I'm using WY 1318. My concern with this and many other yeast strains is that if it takes a few hours to warm up some (yeast, that is) may start to fall out before fermentation even get started. Maybe it doesn't work that way. If not, great!

Too cold and, yes, your yeast can go to sleep. Warm the temp up and swirl the fermenter. This rouses the yeast.

End of the day - you've got a little extra work either way... heating the cooled wort for 2 hours and pitching or swirling the warmed wort to rouse the yeast...

An alternative. May work for you - may not. A submersible pump in a larger cooler filled with water. Fill the cooler with tap water and let it warm up over night. Pump that thru your chiller.

This brew I'm using WY 1318. My concern with this and many other yeast strains is that if it takes a few hours to warm up some (yeast, that is) may start to fall out before fermentation even get started. Maybe it doesn't work that way. If not, great!

The yeast won't fall out at that high of a temperature, at least not for several weeks. No worries. That's why you cold crash down near freezing temps.

+1 on slowing the cooling water, I live up Nort and we too have cold ground water, I have to throttle the water and keep ans eye on the temp as it comes out of the chiller. I would have no issues with pitching on 55° wort though.

Back