Could this have been a mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trabi

Reaction score
I did not look in my fermenter before racking so I did not see the top of the beer. After racking to keg, I took off the lid and saw this black stuff on the krausen ring. There was also a tiny bit of greenish and whitish in the black stuff.

I drank about 300 ml of the beer before seeing the black stuff on the ring. The beer tasted ok, maybe a little sour/tart.

I've attached two pictures, any ideas if this is normal? If it tastes ok is it safe or is mold too risky?

Attachments

• ring1.jpg
    ring1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 55
  • ring2.jpg
    ring2.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 55
The photos are kinda blurry but it doesn't look like mold.

The darkness is from oxidation. The white is most likely from a pellicle, although I would have expected more of it stuck to the sides after transferring. Maybe it got sucked into the keg?

The photos are kinda blurry but it doesn't look like mold.

The darkness is from oxidation. The white is most likely from a pellicle, although I would have expected more of it stuck to the sides after transferring. Maybe it got sucked into the keg?

I've been googling like crazy and the black stuff could also be that I did not properly clean my steel fermenter (this was my first time using it).

There was a film at the top of the yeast bed. I noticed it because it got stuck in the conical bottom when I was washing everything down the bottom outlet.

I get the same thing in my SS brew bucket after every use. I freaked when I saw it and posted the same question. There's a few ppl who have experienced this. Im not a scientist but I think it's some kind of reaction between the steel, beer, hops or yeast. Just don't know what it is. Long story short, your beer is fine

You're right; the darkness could also be from the stainless.

The whiteness and film is a pellicle, indicating contamination with wild microbes. It's ok to drink the beer.

Sounds like it wasn't cleaned properly.

Back