Costs of false bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

texwake

Reaction score
Random question: how come false bottoms are so expensive for a simple piece of steel that's cut in a circle with some pieces welded to it? Is it the materials? Less demand? A good one costs $100+.

I've always thought the same thing. I think it's a demand kind of thing. It's a pretty specific item too and it takes a while to make.

Or just find a less expensive version. I've seen several around in the $30 range. But the specifics of what's needed are what will dictate some of the cost.

Random question: how come false bottoms are so expensive for a simple piece of steel that's cut in a circle with some pieces welded to it? Is it the materials? Less demand? A good one costs $100+.

Look up the price of perforated stainless steel sheet at a material supplier. It's outrageous. Don't use plain steel!

Why don't they make them out of plastic? Would be way cheaper.

I struggled with this too. Priced out buying the perforated stainless (16 gauge 304 stainless) and having friend cut and weld. Was maybe half the cost of Norcal. But my friend would be learning how to make it on my false bottom. I only needed one false bottom and I didnt want a prototype. I bought it from Norcal and it fits my kettle perfectly, and my recirculating mash flows like a champ even with lots of wheat in the grain bill. No scorched grain or wort under the FB.

As for the $30 domed false bottoms I was building direct fire recirculating mash tun in a 15 gallon flat bottom kettle and was concerned about less than 100% coverage of bottom and tendency to move when the mash is stirred, Biggest I could find was 12" (kettle is 15.5") and I don't think the 12" was $30.

Perhaps now that I have the unit from Norcal I will let my friend make a duplicate for my brew kettle if he really wants a metal working project. But am extremely satisfied with the value of Norcal's offering.

There have been some examples. I assume they did not sell.

Plastics can have heat/pH chemical leaching issues and can either go floppy or brittle under heat and load.

A lot of people use water coolers for mashing. Nerver heard of any leaching or floppy issues.

I think my keggle false bottom was $15...in 1996. It is a very simple piece of perf stainless cut in a circle that covers 3/4's of the concave surface of the bottom plus a SS washer.

I grind to maybe 15% flour so a very, very fine grind. Gravity fed system only and never stuck sparge.

What you are looking at is (about) 1/6" on 3/16" centers. That stainless is not cheap and normal comes in minimum 24" x 24" blanks.

Pick-up sheets of 16 gauge perforated. Drive them to fab shop with waterjet or laser cutting service. Return to pick them up. Deburr cut edges. Cut hinges to size. Deburr edges. Wash oils off all materials and prop to dry. Weld hinges to disc halves keeping perfect alignment. Clean heat discoloration with stainless wire wheel. Apply oxolic acid solution to weld location to assist in repassivisation of stainless. Clean the following day. Process order, ship and provide customer service In the future.

Tell me again how overpriced they are.

Back