Cost of grains (not in bulk)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tknishi

Reaction score
What is the average cost per pound for grains? Not in bulk.

At my LBHS the cost for a pound of grain and pound of LME is practically the same ($3.00/grain vs. $3.25-$3.50/LME). And my understanding for an all grain recipe, I will need more lbs of grains as opposed to lbs of LME of a extract recipe.

I am a newbie, with three extract brew under my belt, and I would like to try some type of all grain batch (based on what I read here about the benefits of all grain brewing). But in my situation, I would be adding time to the brew day and I would be adding cost.

Maybe this is more than just a question about grain, I guess I am trying to justify moving to all grain.

Usually base grains are $1.00 to 1.50 at most per pound, at my store. Specialty grains ive used still run below $2 a pound.

3$ a pound is ridiculous sounding and indeed kills a major benefit from going all grain.

The price you are paying for grain seems very high to me. When I first started doing all-grain brewing, my cost dropped by about 40% per 5-gallon batch.

The LHBS that I go to generally charges $1.50 to $2.25 per lb. Rebel Brewer online charges a bit less, but you have a little shipping cost to add in. You should find a better local source for your gran, especially the base malt.

I buy base malt through our brew club twice a year bulk buys. I generally buy 1-2 55# bags. Buying premium base malts still comes in at about $0.75/lb or less.

The big thing I noticed about all-grain brewing was the ability to get better flavors and having more creative flexibility.

$3.00 for base grain? JC! I would absolutely not shop with them if that were the case. Base grains usually run between $1.10 and $1.80 per pound. It depends on the grain and also whether it is a local grain (Farm Boy or Riverbend for me). Speciality grain will run from about $1.50 ish up to about $2.10, I believe.

My LHBS, the one I frequent, charges me the per pound rate for an entire sack with 30% off. I also use 5% with my AHA card. Buying base in bulk is way cheap.

Assuming you're located in the US, $3/lb is way too much for grains. I pay $1.35-$1.85 for base malts (2 Row, Pilsner, Wheat) and $1.85-$2.25 for specialty grains. Your LME prices don't sound great either (I'm currently paying $2.65/lb for LME from a cask, if you're buying the 3.3lb cans it will be more).

It's probably time to find a new LHBS or start ordering your grains online. With mail order you'll have to plan ahead and will want to order several brews worth at once to consolidate shipping, but you'll be cutting your grain prices nearly in half (if you're overpaying for hops and yeast as well, the savings could be even greater). I'm a fan of supporting local businesses -- their prices will often be a bit higher but you're paying for convenience, and there will come a brew day when you'll find your self running out to pick up a missing ingredient! But it sounds like your LHBS is charging 75%-100% more than the market rate for grains, and 30% high for LME, which is more of a markup than I'd personally be willing to pay to support a small local business.

I wouldn't buy an entire sack of grain until you decide that all-grain brewing is for you. But if you like it, buying a sack of 2 Row (and/or Pilsner, depending on what you make frequently) can save you a bunch in the long run if you do a group buy or find a LHBS with good sack pricing. Of course then you'll need a grain mill ...

My lhbs is 0.90(domestic 2 row) - $1.50(maris otter, or bohemian floor malt pils) a lb for base grains. A discount at 10lbs. Specialty grains can be up to 2$, but average around 1.50.

I live in Hawaii, so I am used to overpaying for things.

Please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate my LHBS and frequent them as much as possible. I like to support local business first before going online.

I would like to at least try batch of some type of all grain, at least BIAB. Maybe I will save a little money by cutting back on some hops and make a simple pale ale, as opposed to a hoppy IPA.

Keep in mind these are Boston prices, so they are a bit higher. Standard grains $1.59 - $2.19, with the higher price ones being Marris Otter, Vienna, etc.. Specialties were $2.29. So I think you're being charged way too much. Not sure where you are, but it does sound high.

I live in Hawaii, so I am used to overpaying for things.

This probably makes all the difference! Might be worth searching HBT to see if other Hawaiian brewers have found cost-saving measures, but mainland grain prices probably aren't too helpful in analyzing whether you're overpaying.

EDIT: looks like HBT has a Hawaii Forum, you might try posting there to see if anyone has leads on local or internet options for cheaper grains:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=188

My 2 Row runs $1.29/lb. Specialties get up around 2. I just picked up 20lbs of Golden Promise for $1.99/lb

my LHBS - base malts are $1.00 per lb.
$0.80 per lb if you by in bulk. Specialty and roasted malts are $1.50-$1.95 per lb.
Extract is about $17 per 3 lb bag. So all-grain recipe calling for 12 lbs of grains is about $12-$15 for grain bill, but would have been about $50 for extract (9 lbs or so?).

Hops are $2.50-3.50 per 2 oz bags, but goes up to $6 for special hops.

I've gotten two bags of bulk grain from my LHBS - Briess 2-row and Crisp Maris Otter. The 2-row is $1.00/lb and the MO is $1.25/lb. not in bulk, I think they're right around $2.00/lb.

Your getting hosed on grain prices. Shop elsewhere or online and pay for shipping.

This is from my LHBS (txbrewing.com) I have no affiliation. Happy customer

Some Base Grains
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 9.25.33 PM.png

Some specialty grains
Screen Shot 2015-08-03 at 9.27.00 PM.png

At my LHBS the grain/pound ranges. 1.50-2.50 for everything in store. The great thing is if you do a grain mix with them they give you a base price of 1.60/pound. Which is pretty good...the past two beers I've made I spent 36.80 which I find to be a good deal!

Cheers!

$3.00 a pound for grain?! You're getting hosed! My LHBS only charges around $1.00 a pound for base malts. Specialty grains range between $1.50 to $3.00 per pound.

I have my choice of 2 LHBS shops. At one Bulk Rahr 2 row is 70 cents/lb and specialty grain varies between 1.50 and 2.50. At the other bulk is about 90cents/lb and all specialty grain is 2 bucks no matter what it is. Both offer 10% off of everything edible if you are an AHA member. Your prices sound really expensive, sounds like online shopping or bulk buys with a group may be a better option.

Base- 0.72/lb (GW 2 row in bulk) to 1.60/lb (Weyermann light wheat by the pound)
Specialty- 0.85/lb (domestic crystal in bulk) to 1.89/lb (Belgian Special B)

I live in Perth, Australia. I pay $5/kg for any malt in the HBS. Not a fantastic deal, but there are no minimum quantities. I tend to bulk buy base malt for $2/kg and get them to put together a kit of the other grains. That works out nicely.

Latest posts

Back