Cost of grain at LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjartar

Reaction score
What do you all pay for grain at your LHBS? Mine is $2 per pound for most. Is that good or not so good?

It depends. Malts like 2-row are normally $1.10-1.15 per pound. Other grains like Maris Otter, Vienna, etc... are more like $1.50 (+/-) per pound. The specialty malts are closer to $1.75 (+/-) per pound. If I buy in bulk it's cheaper.

Now I buy my grains from a local brewery who supports our brew club so I can get grains at their cost. i.e. a 50# sack of 2-row was $40, which works out to be $0.80 per pound.

The shop that closed down was was pricey..... 2$ for base malt. Marris otter was the most expensive malt at 3.25 a pound.....

The shop i go to now is 1.60 for base and up to 2$ for other grains. I buy 50# bag of rarh for $45 from them and just use thete mill when i need to

IT really depends on your locations. In a major city, where real estate is pricey, $2 is probably a good price. Mine sells Munich for 2.15/1 lb... 9.95/5 lb, so you get a volume discount. I can also by a virtual grain sack for about 1.75/lb, but I have to pull it in 5-lb increments.

2 isn't terrible but my LHBS does something awesome where if you get a grain mix the price is 1.60/LB for any and all malts in the mix.

Great deal if you ask me

Mine's pricey.

Base by the pound: $1.69 - 1.80
Base by the sack: $62 - 80
Specialty by the pound: $1.70 - 3.00

I do not by base from them at all, but I do buy specialties from them, just because I appreciate them being here.

I understand there is a cost of doing business, but offering to sell bulk grain at a fair cost would stop many of us from driving over an hour to a different store that does.

Most base malts $1.75/ lb
Specialty malts $2.25-$3/ lb
Pretty fair sack prices. My last bag of 2-row was $50, just bought a bag of Weyermanns Munich for $65 if I remember right.

Mine is on the cheap side.
$0.79/lb for Rahr 2 Row
$0.99/lb for Crisp
Crystal is either $1.19 or $1.39/lb.

And he occasionally runs sales getting base to about $0.65.

$2 for base grain
$2.69-2.99 for specialty

It's quite a bit higher than I can comfortably stomach, but the folks are super kind and have been in business for 10+ years. I'll gladly support them for all the involvement they have in the homebrew community. For example, they will package and ship any beers to a competition for free if you're a member of the local homebrew club.

Spendy. Has 2 row at 2.39/lb. Maris Otter/GP is like 2.99-3.29/lb. Want to support the shop, but hard to at 225+% of what I can buy it for online, shipped to my door.

if you can't get bulk sacks for ~$40 locally, look at Morebeer. Their 10lb bags qualify for free shipping on $59.
If you buy enough to get free shipping, the Breiss 2-row is $1.06/lb delivered.

Their other malts are slightly more, but they still beat my LHBS on $/lb... and they drop it at my front door. I'm close to their California shipping center, so I get 1-2 day delivery.

if you can't get bulk sacks for ~$40 locally, look at Morebeer. Their 10lb bags qualify for free shipping on $59.

Their other malts are slightly more, but they still beat my LHBS on $/lb... and they drop it at my front door. I'm close to their California shipping center, so I get 1-2 day delivery.

Thank you for this very much. 50# 2-row is $17+ cheaper than at my LHBS and it's shipped to my front door. I was always wary seeing my lhbs prices so varied (read: inflated) - 2-row 1# - $2.99/50# - $69.99

Definitely will be looking into Morebeer for my next bulk grain purchase. Thanks again.

Great Fermentations in Indy:
2-row base $1.39/lb
Pilsner $1.79/lb
Specialty $1.99- $2.49/lb

Final Gravity also in Indy
2-row base $1.00/lb
Maris Otter $2.00/lb
Pilsner $1.80/lb
Crystal $1.70- 2.00/lb
Toast/Roast $1.79- 2.09/lb

Maris Otter 55# $65
2-row 55# $45
Pilsner 55# $50

$1.49/lb for 2-row base malt.
$1.99/lb for any specialty malt.

I buy my 2-row in bulk though, so it's more like <$1.00lb

My LHBS also gives a discount for AHA members (5%) and then $10 off every $50 spent. So it's not too bad when it's all totaled up.

Wow, I just tried that.... 5 10 Lb bags... free shipping... amazing thank you!!

sorry, if only 5 bags no free ship... 6 bags.. free ship... weird.

Yeah, the total has to be at least $59... I usually get 3 10lb bags of 2row, a couple 5 lb bags of Munich & Vienna, and some 1lb bags of various crystal malts or roast malts.

Dry yeast packets make good filler to reach $59, if needed.

Latest posts

Back