Corona Mill Question(s)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ardonthorn5

Reaction score
Howdy all. So i just got my first mill from AHS, an onsale Corona unit. I was wondering, basically, on how to adjust the crush...just tighten 'er down and let her rip or adjust wingnuts and experiment?

I haven't had experience with the corona mill, but for the most part if you can adjust the gap between between the rollers the standard gap for milling is 0.045. There are two ways you can measure this: get a feeler gauge from an auto store or use the credit card trick. The credit card trick is taking a card and putting it between the rollers and tighten them just to the point where they're touching the card evenly. Make sure you keep the magnetic strip away from the rollers so it doesn't get damaged.

ismedeiros88 said:
I haven't had experience with the corona mill, but for the most part if you can adjust the gap between between the rollers the standard gap for milling is 0.045. There are two ways you can measure this: get a feeler gauge from an auto store or use the credit card trick. The credit card trick is taking a card and putting it between the rollers and tighten them just to the point where they're touching the card evenly. Make sure you keep the magnetic strip away from the rollers so it doesn't get damaged.

This won't work cause a corona mill doesn't use rollers it uses grinding plates. Yes I would tighten it with the wingnut and crush some and tighten it till you get a good crush, you should have the husk just torn open. I hope this helps.

As I remember how I set mine was tighten it till it sounds like your grinding rocks then back off just a bit. This has worked for me.

thanks all. i was looking at this thing like "what the hell am i supposed to do with this..." ... glad to have a community for support.

Search for corona mill in the bucket, it will help you to figure out, i have on and im happy with it

How to adjust the "grinding plates"; adjust the single large wing screw until the plates are no longer touching each other while you are both, pushing in on the crank handle, and turning the crank handle, until you just start to have the plates not hitting each other.

Now grind your grain
With two fistfuls of rice hulls you should get somewhere near 75% efficiency with that.

Polboy said:
Search for corona mill in the bucket, it will help you to figure out, i have on and im happy with it

image-942725772.jpg

image-263840257.jpg

Here is my bucket in a bucket

image-3366337500.jpg

Then I motorized it!

Quick Mods.
1) Take off the side wingnuts and put 4 washers in between each. Put the washers between the main body and the bracket at the end.

2) Pull out the cotter pin and replace it with a #8-32 Screw and tighten it down with nuts and lock washers.

Not trying to threadjack, but...

I ordered the same mill, did you have any fitment issues getting the hopper on? Mine will not go on, the little nubs don't line up with the indentations on the hopper. I e-mailed AHB a week ago today and haven't gotten a response back. Was wondering how yours is.

Not trying to threadjack, but...

I ordered the same mill, did you have any fitment issues getting the hopper on? Mine will not go on, the little nubs don't line up with the indentations on the hopper. I e-mailed AHB a week ago today and haven't gotten a response back. Was wondering how yours is.

I had the same issue with one from amazon. I was able to rotate the hopper to a point where the indentations and nubs lined up just enough to fit with a little force.

Yeah, I feel like I may be able to get it on with a rubber mallet and some muscle, but if I line up 1 nub, the other one is about 1/4" from being lined up. Maybe a board on the top of the hopper and under the mill with some bar clamps will allow me to press it on. Worst case scenario, I'll grind off the nubs and put a band clamp around the bottom of the hopper.

I was able to get the hopper on with a piece of scrap wood and a mallet. Pretty sure its not coming off any time soon.

Back