Corona mill challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flboy

Reaction score
All you corona lovers, a challenge. Seems like everything I read says, oh I love my corona-but- when it dies I will buy a 'real' mill. OMG help me. Yes, very handy, yes can convert a dreaded pasta mill, but yes can afford anything(side Benifit of being old). I am so on the fence, love the JSP bare bones mill, and my LHBS says they were never happy with corona mills and for brewing once a week, I should not go that route.
I so hate wasting $$ to the point of being awsumly stupid at times (second Benifit of being old).

Corona mills are fine for those on a budget and those with them seem perfectly happy with the performance. However, if you have the $ go for a 2 roller mill. If you are on the forums or Craigslist enough you usually can find a decent deal from someone that is upgrading.

I have a Barley Crusher that I motorized and I have been fairly happy with it. (4 years using it so far.)

I use a $23 corona knockoff with a hand drill. I don't even understand the panic about stuck sparge. I batch sparge, and did a 60/40 wheat/barley hefe the other month. No problems. Lots of whole hull is visible, and I average about 80% efficiency.

If I did get a stuck sparge, I'd improvise another "batch", supplementing wort to sparge water as needed for volume, clear my SS mesh tube, and re-vorlauf. What's the big fuss? Why would I spend $150 to avoid doing that once or twice a year? (I brew about twice a month.)

I also don't know how you "kill" a corona. Mine is a galvanized monstrosity. There's nothing to break. I had to bend the silly hopper just to fit it on the thing, it was so clumsily cast, but I really don't see what could break.

I've used my Corona style mill almost every week from November to now, and a couple of extra times during my end of the year vacation. It keeps on cranking away. If it died somehow, like if an elephant came and stepped on it, I'd replace it in a heartbeat. I could afford to replace it four or five times before I came up to the cost of a reliable 2-roll mill.

In the end it's a personal and economic choice. If the equipment performs for the user and the user is satisfied with the results, then that is all that matters.

I love mine. If it were to die( and I don't know how it could short of a 1000lb bomb going off next to it) I would get another.

Had my corona over a year it's heavy it's ugly it's cheaply made and it will probably outlast me just hook it up to a drill I hand cranked the first batch and won't be doing that again. The LHBS has a two roller with a drill and it's faster but not enough for the price IMO plus a corona is easy to adjust on the fly I like this since I brew a lot of stouts and crush the roasted barley pretty much to powder

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

.......and for brewing once a week, I should not go that route.
I so hate wasting $$ to the point of being awsumly stupid at times (second Benifit of being old).

If you're brewing once a week, then I think the money spent on a 'real mill' won't be wasted.

Corona mills are fine for those on a budget and those with them seem perfectly happy with the performance. However, if you have the $ go for a 2 roller mill. If you are on the forums or Craigslist enough you usually can find a decent deal from someone that is upgrading.

I have a Barley Crusher that I motorized and I have been fairly happy with it. (4 years using it so far.)

^^ What this guy said. I have a Barley Crusher also. I've not had mine as long as Nsrooen, but I don't regret buying mine. I bought mine from Adventures in Homebrewing. They seemed to be the cheapest and they also have a rewards program, so win-win I guess.

I also have a Corona "style" mill. I have done somewhere between 40 and 50 brews with it. I can't imagine it giving out within the next decade. I can grind 20 pounds in far less time than it takes to weigh out the grains.

If I ever do change... it would be mostly for the "bling".

I don't adjust it. If I want a finer grind, which would be pretty much flour, I double grind!

They're not tremendously adjustable, but you can sort of work out a happy medium grind and go with it. That's all you need.

There are lots of *ways* to adjust them, it's just sort of unpredictable except through trial and error. But you can figure out exactly what you want within a grind or two. I basically grind it as tight as I can without setting my cheap drill on fire (again). Grinding is not a precise science, but it is an excellent moneymaking opportunity for equipment suppliers.

Well, bought a corona! Got the Weston version, seems a little heavier. Will update ya all.

Same as everybody else. Have a corona, get like 80%, like it but...if i ever buy a winning scratch ticket a roller mill is high on the list of purchases.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Home Brew mobile app

I basically grind it as tight as I can without setting my cheap drill on fire (again).

I spun 16 lbs through mine twice and lit my drill on fire. I had to hand crank the last pound. I guess my mill was set too tight. Had to go out and get a new 12 dollar drill. I'm glad I'm not the only one who killed a drill on a corona mill.

I've been using my corona mill since I started all grain 5 years ago and average around high 80% for my mash conversion. Only down fall is I keep burning up drills but if harbor freight keeps replacing them I'll keep returning them! Haha

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Home Brew mobile app

It's part of my therapy. I love it. I hand crank it. My only thought of changing to a power mill would be actually doing weekly brews (50 per year) and going up from 5g to 10g.

I love my corona-but- when it dies I will buy a 'real' mill. .

Corona mill is built like a freight train, they are a "real" mill and won't die or wear out anytime soon, or likely never!

convert a dreaded pasta mill, but yes can afford anything(side Benifit of being old). .

Avoid a pasta roller! I played with one for kicks, really not a long term solution, only like ten bucks less than a corona mill. I too am getting older and can "afford" any mill, but have been more than satisfied w/ my corona.

love the JSP bare bones mill

I would prefer an adjustable mill, but the JSP bare bones is probably great.

If you are easily frustrated, and not very handy or mechanistically inclined, absolutely get a roller mill that can be used within minutes out of the box!

If you are the type to get pleasure solving a problem, and making something work, the corona is for you!

Not only will you get a mill that functions well, but the satisfaction of turning a $27 piece of junk into a very serviceable piece of brew gear, will put a smile on your face!

http://www.discounttommy.com/p-189-...er-for-wheat-grains-or-use-as-a-nut-mill.aspx

Corona tip of the day....once you get your mill crushing to your liking, tourque down the three wing nuts nice and tight with a pair of pliers. Yes, those are the three wingnuts that are best thrown out and replaced with three higher quality wing nuts from ace hardware, and can be purchased when you are getting the bolt to install in the handle to power the mill....the quality of the original wing nuts on my mill were laughable...

That's good advice. I never considered replacing the wingnuts, but mine are indeed crap. They don't jiggle free every 5-10lbs of grain like they did the first month or two, but I do have to check them each time I start.

I have run about 150# of grain through my corona knock off; still works great. I use a DeWalt 3/8" drill. I see no reason to buy a "real" grain mill. ;)

I had no problems with my corona mill. The only reason I upgraded to a barley crusher is because it came with some other used equipment I purchased. I still use my corona for wheat and rye. I like the roller mill, but when it dies, I'll still have my corona. Unless I find another deal too good to pass up, I'll stick with it. I guess I'm the opposite of the people you quoted.

Ya, hear you all! In case you missed my update, I pulled the trigger and ordered a corona! Went with the Weston model. It was a few bucks more, $28, but it was also over 3 lbs heavier. Will let you all know!
And thank you for the replies!!

...Mine is a galvanized monstrosity. There's nothing to break. I had to bend the silly hopper just to fit it on the thing...
That's the one I have.

I don't mill everything with it. If I buy grain online or at the LHBS I have them mill it. I use the Corona mill for brews with my homemade grains. It's kinda fun to malt the grain, hand mill it and make beer. :)

I've seen malting procedures on youtube. I'm not having any of that. :)

I've seen malting procedures on youtube. I'm not having any of that. :)
Here's home malted pale, amber, brown, and snap malt.

osp_grains.jpg

I just meant I'm not having any of the PITA involved in making it! I'm sure it's wonderful malt.

That's the one I have.

I don't mill everything with it. If I buy grain online or at the LHBS I have them mill it. I use the Corona mill for brews with my homemade grains. It's kinda fun to malt the grain, hand mill it and make beer. :)

Am extremely jealous. One day i hope to be able to do the same.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Home Brew mobile app

I've noticed with my corona I'll get a lot of mill flower that settles on the top of my grains near the end of my batch sparge causing it to get stuck, but its a easy fix by just raking the top. The slower I mill with the drill it tends to help prevent this situation. Anyone else experience this issue??

Flour isn't undesirable as far as I know. I think you may get a little protein gunk accumulation at the top, but if your sparge is stuck it should be at the outlet point (false bottom, tube, whatever), not the top of your mash.

Yeah I always get a mill flower muck layer on top that tops the Sparge but soon as I scrap it off I get a nice flow

You can make great beer with a Corona - Charlie P. is still using his first one from the 70's. If the founder of the AHA and GABF is still doing it that way it seems a safe bet we can too.

Charlie said "listen to your beer". So look and touch too. Knowing your mill is far important than what mill it is. I beat my LHBS roller mill efficiency by at least 10% using my Corona and paying attention.

Also - never say - "when my Corona dies..." - it won't. Your grandchildren will be brewing with it.

UPDATE:
After three batches, am beginning to like the Corona. Very rough start tho.
I disagree with the suggestion on the placement of the washers between the plate arms. When I did this, adjusting the plate moved the wire that holds the pivot bearing in the shaft too far out. I spent an hour looking for it in the grass! I am still grinding by hand, but I plan to start using a drill.

I think you'll definitely find it more appealing with a drill. Mine doesn't shake loose like it used to, I only tighten it once every two or three brews, and barely then.

I think you'll definitely find it more appealing with a drill. Mine doesn't shake loose like it used to, I only tighten it once every two or three brews, and barely then.

Couldnt you just put it where you wanted it, back it up half a turn, put a drop of loctite on it and spin it into position? It wont rattle off that way but if you need to change it you can crank down on it to break the loctite...

Loctite is a good idea, but I found a good solution is to replace the crap Chinese wing nuts with a few from ace hardware. Then tighten them well with a pair of pliers and the mill wi be locked tight till the next adjustment of your choosing. The quality of the orig wing nuts is laughable.

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

I'd never heard of the stuff until now, or never took note if I did. I had the same issue with skateboard bolts vibrating off and thought nylon nuts were the only solution. Now I know! Hell I could use this on one of my ball valves with a handle bolt that's a little stripped... I was going to hit it with JB Weld.

Blue loctite.

Good point, don't use red loctite unless you never want to move it again, that stuff is tough.
Use blue and use it sparingly, its industrial level stuff. Like one drop per bolt. Add more later if you need but start small or the bolt isnt coming off without a air rachet.

It's good stuff to always have around, as fearwig mentioned for anything that vibrates. I used it to keep my snowboard binding bolts from vibrating loose, if they did it sucks getting down the hill, worst case you fall from lack of control

Back