• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Corny Kegs $35

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ndlancer54

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just picked up 2 kegs from Tom in danbury, CT. He posted a craigslist posting (http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/for/3482216512.html). He has 100+ kegs with oval and firestone lids, ball lock and pin lock, with and without handles. His family owns a soda factory and they have been trying to get rid of them due to space. Great guy to work with. The only thing to be cautious about is they are used and therefore the o-rings will most likely need replacing and the lids are PLASTIC. I've been reading the forums about that and it seems like it's not a bad thing but for those who want SS everything, this may be a reason for caution. Another good thing was that I was able to pick the kegs I wanted so I was able to inspect for dents/damage etc.

Cheers!

Absolutely nothing wrong with the plastic lids. I believe they're actually bake-lite. Not sure how it's substantially different than "normal" plastic but they are rugged and don't absorb any off flavors or anything.

I've bought several kegs from him, two with the plastic lids. I was somewhat skeptical about the plastic lids but have had no problems with them. The tops are faded, but the insides of the lids are like new and they have not retained soda flavors.

Most of the kegs have been outside for awhile and need a good cleaning, but the kegs I've bought were generally good shape. Tom is easy to deal with if you have defective keg parts or a problem with a keg. He also told me that he would refill co2 tanks.

Bakelite can get pretty brittle with age. Just an FYI.

MC

I'm not 100% sure that's what they're made out of - just feels like the same type of plastic to me. I don't know what you mean by "with age". Is this 5 years? 10 years? 40? The lids I have came on kegs that look to be at least 15-25 years old. It's pretty thick plastic. I've never read of someone breaking one.

I'd take 20 of those in a heart beat and resell them, after recon.

I do not know if he has time ship them. It is his family business and they are just hanging around on the yard. He has been trying to liquidate for more spaced but it is not his primary job. He even told me someone from boston just came before me and bought about 100 (assuming they are going to recondition and resell). I actually went back today for another one this morning :D. He also told me that he could refill co2 tanks as well and on the cheap. I wish I knew that before so that I could save a trip.

Even at $35, would it be worth buying a bunch and reselling?

Seems like a big hassle to make $15 per keg unless he drops the price big time for large quantities.

I just bought 3 kegs from this guy. He was on his way to KY and I live in OH. He actually met me at a McDonald's on his way to KY to sell to me. Great guy and if you are local you should try and trade him a keg of homebrew for a few kegs. He says nobody has ever offered that trade to him before and seemed interested in the concept.

Back