Corny keg purchasing question...CHI company

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwhc22

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have been reading a bunch of threads on corny kegs.

I am kind of tired of bottling everything. I will still continue to bottle some of my beer just for the sake of having the ability to bring a few of my own with me places or give them to a friend to take home.

So i want to start kegging. I was reading a thread on refurbished kegs earlier and I think i will by at least one pepsi corny from the chi company. but they have a complete refurbished corny for $37 i believe or the ones with rings and such changed at like $23 but i an get a 4 pack of those. Which would be the recommended to start with? At this point i will prolly only realistically use 2 kegs at a time so i could just get 2 of the complete refurbs now... or for a bit more should i just get a 4 pack of the ones with just new o rings? or just order from someone else completely? I have even found cornies on ebay but im not sure if i trust ebay enough to purchase from there.

I guess really my question is to get complete refurbs or just ones with new orings and such?
:mug:

I'd go with the 4-pack. Don't forget, you'll want to have a couple conditioning as well as the ones on tap.

+1. If you have the space, try to get at least one more keg than the number of taps you have, especially if it's 1 or 2 taps. It doesn't feel too good to run out of beer on tap.

I'd go with the 4-pack. Don't forget, you'll want to have a couple conditioning as well as the ones on tap.

+1 on the 4-pack. I ordered two when I first started kegging. I immediately bought 2 more once I filled those with beer to condition. I just bought 8 more from CHI and am thinking about more...

Also, I've found that ordering in 4s tends to keep the shipping$/keg to a minimum.

refurbing corny kegs is not very difficult, you can find some good resources online. You can buy the o-rings for the lid, dip tubes and posts from mcmaster at a reasonable price. Concerning how many to buy... I started off with one, quickly saw the need for two, and to make a long story short now I have 10, and I want some more. If it's only a little more, get 4, in the long run it will pay off

I only plan on having 1 tap for now. then next summer i plan to build a bar when a friend from back home in WI moves in with me.

I imagine the o ring replacement would be easy as pie... is the replacement of poppets and the pressure relief valve pretty simple as well if i need to do that?

if it is pretty easy I will prolly get the 4 pack that has new rings and then grab a few extra parts just in case I need them later on.

just get a 4 pack of the used ones. July's special is a new seal set with each keg. you will have to clean any keg you get anywhere. I wouldn't trust my beer to someones elses sanitation practice.
dont worry about the poppits and relief valve the kegs come with pressure on them.

Hi,
I recently got into kegging a few months back, and have since bought two 4-packs of kegs, most recently from CHI company.

Go for the 4-pack, you will want the kegs. I now brew 10 gallon batches, and only have one tap running, but am upgrading to a 2-tap tower.

My experience so far with kegs is to always replace the gaskets. All my tubes have been OK and so far the poppets.

I just received my recent order of a 4-pack from the CHI company. All the kegs look fine, holding pressure, a little dirty (to be expected) and smell like soda (to be expected), but a clean of all the parts with oxiclean, change the gaskets, and they will be ready to use.

I ordered them on Friday the 18th, and got them, on the following Monday. The total cost came to $122 with tax and shipping. They are located just outside Sacramento, and I am in the bay area, hence the fast shipping. Plus their July special is that all kegs ordered during July come with a free Gasket replacement set. So this came out to $30.50 per keg, where any local kegs around here are costing $39, so it worked out OK for me, plus I got the free gasket replacements. So go for the regular 4-pack and get the free gaskets.

Paulbill

^^^^^^^
whoa thats fast shipping. I have some oxy clean powder stuff to clean them with. but ill prolly need to get more cuz i don't think i have enough to clean all 4 kegs. I am thinking i will order a 4 pack today. i will prolly also order some keg lube and such as well.

for the july special does it just automatically come with an order of a 4 pack? or do i need to select something on the order form to get it?

When ordering, I just put in a reminder in the comments section when I checked-out. They were then included in the box.

Paulbill

K i just ordered a 4 pack of cornies from the CHI company... i forgot to order some keg lube and whatnot with it though since i was excited to be getting some kegs.

now i need to figure out a CO2 set up and dispensing rig. any ideas. I don't plan on mounting a tap anywhere just yet... so i was thinking of getting a standard rig with #5 tank and a faucet that attaches to the ball lock on the keg. does that sound like it should work out well?

CHI company's website is wierd man... it says my corny's have been delivered as of today and they were shipped on saturday apparently? i wonder if they mean that the billing info was sent to UPS on saturday and they were shipped today? becasue I have no kegs so i have no idea what they are talking about. i was expecting them on wednesday or thursday though... so i guess we will see.

CHI company's website is wierd man... it says my corny's have been delivered as of today and they were shipped on saturday apparently? i wonder if they mean that the billing info was sent to UPS on saturday and they were shipped today? becasue I have no kegs so i have no idea what they are talking about. i was expecting them on wednesday or thursday though... so i guess we will see.

I believe they read delivered as soon as they ship, for some reason. I've ordered from them twice with no problems.

got the same with my order too. you'll get a ups tracking number soon.

K i just ordered a 4 pack of cornies from the CHI company... i forgot to order some keg lube and whatnot with it though since i was excited to be getting some kegs.

now i need to figure out a CO2 set up and dispensing rig. any ideas. I don't plan on mounting a tap anywhere just yet... so i was thinking of getting a standard rig with #5 tank and a faucet that attaches to the ball lock on the keg. does that sound like it should work out well?

get some picnic taps. and you can also just get a distribution block with some valves if you dont plan on using forced carb. that was a single regulator will work.

They are cheap enough from CHI that it might make sense to just get an 8 or 12 pack instead of a four pack. Then you're pretty much set.

I finally got my shipment of another load (first from CHI) and I am not very impressed. 2 out of 4 kegs from CHI I got today don't hold pressure. One of them is so bad that I am quite surprised that they didn't notice that before when they "test" them. That can certainly wasn't tested. I'm gonna email them now and see what the deal is.

I finally got my shipment of another load (first from CHI) and I am not very impressed. 2 out of 4 kegs from CHI I got today don't hold pressure. One of them is so bad that I am quite surprised that they didn't notice that before when they "test" them. That can certainly wasn't tested. I'm gonna email them now and see what the deal is.

really? damn... i hope it was just a fluke... i have heard good things from most about these kegs. ill have to see when i get mine if they hold pressure.

I just picked up 10 from Adventures in HomeBrewing, 20 bucks each, plus for me what worked out to be 7 dollars each shipping....Hopefully they will work out to be a deal, or at least have 20 dollars in salvagable parts from each one...

I just ordered the 4 pack of single handled kegs (no reason to spend an extra $24 for handles that I'm rarely going to use). Came out to $96 shipped. I figured I'd start hording now.

I just ordered the 4 pack of single handled kegs (no reason to spend an extra $24 for handles that I'm rarely going to use). Came out to $96 shipped. I figured I'd start hording now.

i was thinking about the single handle ones as well. but they say they are thinner walled and dent up a lot easier. so opted for the other ones in hopes they will be in better condition and last longer for me :D

UPS says my cornies are out for delivery :mug: i guess we will see how good these are in a few hours :D

I have 4 single handled already along with 2 double handled. I've had zero issues with them. Who cares what they look like on the outside! :mug:

I've been trying to use paypal to purchase a four pack but it's not working for some reason. Keep getting an error that PayPal can't complete the transaction. Anyone else use PayPal and had issues?

Oh my god!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 ups tried to deliver my kegs to an address on the other side fo downtown that wasn't even close to the same numbers as mine and sent them back to CHI Company. although i think there may be some lies floated my way becasue the address they told me im pretty sure is in the parking lot for my friends work. that lot takes up an entire city block...so how would they even have tried to deliver them there.

ups says they should be back today... but i don't trust people that can;t even read a shipping label properly when its there job. :mad:

ok...they finally got here... all had some pressure inside of them...some more than others. not sure if its an o ring leak that made the others lower or not. they are sooooooo dirty... my hands became black from taking them out of the box and putting them aside. 1 has a broekn handle on one side...the broken handle one and one other have some pretty good dents in them...so im not sure what "NO to Minor Dents" means on their website listing.

2 of them seem to be pretty good aside from the need to be washed and stickers removed and maybe a light polish job.

they all appear to be in working order though so i can't complain about that. now to get a regulator and co2 tank and im in business woot! :D

Wow it sounds like I got lucky all my kegs held pressure no dents on them just scratches They are going to need a good cleaning before they can be used. I did have one issue I didn't receive the FREE set of o rings. fortunately I ordered a set with the kegs I thought it would be good to have a spare set on hand.

John

yeah i spoke too soon... the one low pressure one lost all its pressure over night before i could take it apart... and is not holding a seal properly after cleaning and what not. the dents on the top edge of the tank may have slightly bent the tank head where the corny top fits in. it lost its pressure between the ship and arrival which was about 4 days. the dip tube inside also rattles around even though i tried to tighten it...gggrrrr.... anyone have any ideas about this or should i just let CHI company know and see what they will do for me?

yeah i spoke too soon... the one low pressure one lost all its pressure over night before i could take it apart... and is not holding a seal properly after cleaning and what not. the dents on the top edge of the tank may have slightly bent the tank head where the corny top fits in. it lost its pressure between the ship and arrival which was about 4 days. the dip tube inside also rattles around even though i tried to tighten it...gggrrrr.... anyone have any ideas about this or should i just let CHI company know and see what they will do for me?

Def call them and let them know first. If they cant solve your problem, sometimes, depending on the situation, you can fix leaks with some keg lube on the o-rings. You might be able to fix the dip tube rattle by replacing the dip-tube o-rings, thats the one between the tube and the keg after you remove the body connect(in and out 'ports')

Got my free o rings today over all I've been very happy with the way things went, a little annoying that the order was wrong but they fixed it quickly no questions asked.

John

aaaarrrrgggg... i haven't gotten around to calling them yet about my kegs. i found out that the reason why one of the kegs with the rattly diptube is that way is because the diptube has a slight kink in the top of it. so its not quite circular anymore. is it too late you think to call them and ask about it? its been almost a month now since i ordered them and 3 weeks to the day since i got them at my door.

Ja, klar! Give the buggers a chance to get it right. If they don't treat you right, hell, let us know. Three weeks, das tut nichts, you're the customer for crying out loud, and you know an awful lot of other might-be customers through this board!

I'm lucky -- my LHBS (Corvallis Home Brewing Supply on Fourth Street in Corvallis, Ore. -- I try to never miss a chance to give Joel Rea, the owner, a prop or two) bought a huge stockpile from a local bottler and I can get a butt-ugly Cornelius Spartan that holds pressure for $25, live and in person, no shipping (other than a quart of gasoline for the ol' MG). You might check and see if your LHBS has something similar going on. (He'll sell me a shiny, luverly dee-luxe Corny for $35, but I don't care what they look like!)

Prozit!:mug:

--Finn

I just wanted to let you all know i bought 2 4pack single handle kegs from chi. i recived the order super fast from cali to oklahoma. opened the first box and check out the kegs. kinda banged up and outside dirty but hey im ok with that. i mean they will be in a keezer anyway. so i rebuilt 4 kegs with some rebuilds i already had handy and didnt want to mes with opening the other box to grab the kits from there. put starsan in them ready for some cider i had waiting and filled up 3 of them. well i went and looked at the other box so i could rebuild them last night and i couldnt find the gaskets. i called up chi today and they are shipping me the gasket kits. no hassles no headaches. though i have to wait on rebuilding the kegs its fine since i wont be brewing another batch for a couple more weeks and wont have anything ready for them until a while later.

anyway over all awesome service. will def buy from this company again.

I bought a 4 pack from them also and they forgot to add the gaskets. It took me a couple extra weeks to get them, but I did eventually get them. I do believe that Chi will do their best to provide what they say they will even if it takes them a couple extra tries. It would be nice however if they would do a better job of getting it done right on the first try.

aaaarrrrgggg... i haven't gotten around to calling them yet about my kegs. i found out that the reason why one of the kegs with the rattly diptube is that way is because the diptube has a slight kink in the top of it. so its not quite circular anymore. is it too late you think to call them and ask about it? its been almost a month now since i ordered them and 3 weeks to the day since i got them at my door.

Did CHI ever resolve the problem?

I'll be headed through Diamond Springs next week and planning on stopping by to pick up a 4 pack. It sounds like most people have had good luck with CHI. From what I've found they seem to be the most reasonably priced.

****These will be my first kegs... would you all recommend going with rebuilt, rather than just cleaned and pressure tested? Has CHI stood by their product for those of you who have received kegs that depressurized? ****

To all,
Thank you for your patronage, IT IS APPRECIATED!

RE: Depressurized kegs

When the kegs are processed, they are then re-stored into one of (8) 40' cargo containers in a pressurized state.
When pulled from stock to be sent they are tested for pressure. Those that are "dead" are put aside for fixing. Those that are pressurized are sent out.

Pressurized kegs can be held in storage before shipping anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. By this time the poppet seals can be "dry".

During shipping, UPS must have gorillas throwing these boxes everywhere, thus "unseating" (ever so slightly) the poppets, thus causing depressurization during shipping.

We reccomend the following:
(We assume every Homebrewer disassembles and cleans/sanitizes each keg prior to initial use)
-If a keg is depressurized upon arrival, using a small pointed object, such as a small screwdriver, RAPIDLY/repeatedly, depress the poppet valve while AT THE SAME TIME spritzing some water on the poppet.
-Repressurize.
-9 times out of ten this "re-seats" the poppet and pressure is held.

-We also reccomend the use of Keg Lube on all gaskets and seals.

I hope this helps,
The CHI Company

Mjc, thanks for taking the time to get involved here at HBT. We definately appreciate it when companies take the time to post here and resolve issues. I'll eventually get around to ordering from you myself, your prices are by far the best I can get anywhere on the west coast.

Stopped by Chi a couple days ago in Diamond Springs. Friendly and helpful staff. They pulled out a bunch of cornys for me to look through and choose from. My 4 pack is still holding pressure. Looking forward to getting them cleaned up today and starting a batch of Apfelwein today. Woohoo! :ban:

MJC- Thanks for your help!

Mjc, thanks for taking the time to get involved here at HBT. We definately appreciate it when companies take the time to post here and resolve issues. I'll eventually get around to ordering from you myself, your prices are by far the best I can get anywhere on the west coast.

Thank you,
We would reply more often but in the past, other members have tried to have us banned due to "spamming" and/or "...just promoting your business". We now reply very sparingly.

Back