Corny keg help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyDrew

Reaction score
hello, I’m new to the forum. I tried to keg my home brew ipa for the first time last Saturday. 5 days ago. I tried the force carb method by setting the regulator to 30psi and shaking the keg.the beer was around 34 degrees when it was transferred to the keg. i then left it in the fridge disconnected from the CO2 Tank for a little under 48 hrs. When i was ready to pour beer i lowered the regulator to 12 psi and purged the keg. The result was flat beer. I believe i had a slow leak because there was sediment in the post. After cleaning it out i tried to force carb again this time at 30psi but rolling the keg on the ground to a count of 200. The keg sat in the fridge over night and when poured it was all foam. I tried purging the keg again and lowering the psi but still all foam. I’ve watched many videos and read threads and they all seem to imply trying the purging method again. Do any of you guys have a better idea or can you give me a step by step to correct this problem? The liquid out line is about 4’ long to a picnic tap. Thanks. I️ am really thirsty.

Make sure your glass is cold, pour 1/4 glass this will be foam then pour a second glass. Don't pour thru foam in first glass it won't work, usually much less foam, drop pressure to about 4psi. This has help me. I have just gone to 30psi and let set 3-4 days

According to our favorite carbonation table, 34 degrees and 30 psi if allowed to reach equlibrium would result in a carbonation level of 4.6 volumes of CO2.
By contrast, most ales fall in the 2.4-2.5 volume level.
9 or 10 psi would have done fine with the "shake and bake" rapid carbonation technique.
30 psi = bad juju.

Conclusion: that keg is massively over-carbonated resulting in cascading CO2 breakout leaving flat beer in the glass.

Disconnect the gas supply to the keg and vent it - probably for a couple of days - then put 9 or 10 psi on it and check the pour.
If it's still hellaciously foamy, repeat the venting until you tame that beast...

Cheers!

[edit] ps: validate your dispensing system using the only beer line length calculator worth using. Especially if you are using 5-6 foot beer lines.
Mike's calculator comes complete with an education. Learn it. Believe it. Love it :)

I have done the same thing as you. It is overcarbed now. Quickest way to get it back is to take off the gas, pull the pressure relief valve until depressurized three four hours until desired carb level.

if you're going to use the "quick carb" method, i'd avoid shaking and rolling it. just set it to your 30-35psi for 18-24 hours, purge the CO2 and set it at serving pressure. i personally find too much carb bite with this method, so i've just done the set it and forget it for 4-5 days at serving pressure (14ish psi). I also use 10' lines and they seem to work great for me.

If you can wait set and forget at normal serving psi is best

Make sure you burp it 3-4 times at 30-35 psi the remove all oxygen first

Even after you get carb right your 4’ line sounds too short. Try around 10’ for a better pour.

Back