Cornie Keg Wrench Size?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude123

Reaction score
What type of socket wrench do I need to take off the air in and beverage out things on the cornie keg so that I can replace the o rings?

Deep well socket or standard box end wrench. I think most fitting are 3/4" or 11/16" but not 100% sure.

If you have smaller posts that is usually an 11/16 wrench, if you have the star shaped ones then they usually can be removed with a 7/8 box end or deep socket with 12 point.

I have a couple of cornies that NOTHING fits! I have a heck of a time with those, but most of them are about the same size. Most of mine are 11/16ths I think.

I have the standard coke cornies.

In this context I don't think the word "standard" applies. Depending on which of the cornie manufactures that particular Coke(or Pepsi) distributor bought them from the fittings could be different. All of the advice from the guys above is good.

Edit: I mean guys in the non gender specific sense of the word.

So then you have the "Pin Lock" type kegs meaning that, unless you buy a prefab socket or grind slots into your own, you are stuck using an open ended box wrench.

11/16 sounds right but, I have the modified socket and haven't looked at the size since I bought it.

A worth while investment for pin lock kegs I might add.

Most of mine take a 7/8" deep socket or open end, I prefer the deep socket because I can put the impact ratchet on them.

what is a modified socket?

And on the deep socket, I am assuming if i got to home depot I just look for 7/8ths deep socket.

what is a modified socket?

And on the deep socket, I am assuming if i got to home depot I just look for 7/8ths deep socket.

modified socket used only for pin lock cornies typically used by Coka-Cola. You could make your own from a regular socket.

A regular socket would work for ball lock cornies typically used by Pepsi.

I just modded up a few deep well sockets for pin lock posts... If I remember correctly, I used 13/16 and an angle grinder... They work like a charm... Much better than the open box wrench...

Um, maybe I'm missing something here (like, perhaps there's no hardware stores within a few hundred miles of your house?), but this begs the obvious question: why don't you just take one of the posts with you to the hardware store and fit it there?

That's what I plan on doing during my next trip to Lowes. Actually, I had the pin sitting out ready to go last weekend, and I forgot it! I'm planning on dropping a little extra cash on one of those sweet little ratcheting closed-box-end wrenches.

Um, maybe I'm missing something here (like, perhaps there's no hardware stores within a few hundred miles of your house?), but this begs the obvious question: why don't you just take one of the posts with you to the hardware store and fit it there?

How did you get the post out if you don't already have the socket/wrench?

I was thinking about taking the whole keg in, but I don't know how well that'd go over.

Ya I am in the same boat, I can't get the post out.

Carry the whole corny in there likes it's a stainless baby! As far as I know the post will either be 11/16 or 7/8, I have 7 cornies from all different places and their either one or the other.

For my kegs I use a 22mm metric wrench, it fits a little better than 7/8". But either will work. I use the closed end with 12 points for both sides of my kegs.

Craftsman makes a ratcheting wrench that is exactly what you need. One end is the 11/16 and the other is the 7/8. Its only about $10 and makes working on them really easy. Model 42165, Works or ball lock, sorry pin lock guys.

Craftsman makes a ratcheting wrench that is exactly what you need. One end is the 11/16 and the other is the 7/8. Its only about $10 and makes working on them really easy. Model 42165, Works or ball lock, sorry pin lock guys.

Yep. IF you have ball locks this is the way to go

KegWrench.jpg

Back