Corn Sugar Substitute in DIPA recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Opiate42

Reaction score
Cotacachi, Ecuador (formerly Toronto, Canada)
Hey gang,

Been hunting up recipes for DIPA's and seeing some calling for corn sugar in the boil for boosting the ABV.

I must have a sensitivity or something but beers with corn sugar tend to give me headaches so am avoiding it.

Any suggestions for a substitute? Does corn sugar add any noticeable flavour or would subbing in candi syrup or plain table sugar be equivalent without altering the flavour of the beer in the end?

I'd think again about your diagnosis. The alcohol made by fermenting dextrose is the same as the alcohol that results from other sugars. And IIRC, dextrose is one of the sugars that comes from barley along with maltose, sucrose, etc.

I bet your headaches come from something else like ... Say, drinking high ABV beer like DIPAs?

Table sugar would be the closest; light candi syrup might add the slightest bit of flavor, but the hops should cover whatever contribution it may give. Either way you should be fine.

Latest posts

Back