Corn Sugar solution question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer71

Reaction score
Hey all. Wanted to get some advice. We are getting ready to brew a 90 minute IPA clone (malt extract) so I was going over the recipe and it says to boil 1/2 cup of corn sugar with 3/4 cup of water for 5 minutes and add to fermenting beer. This would be done after a couple days of active fermentation and you would add twice a day, once in the morning and once in the evening.

There is 2-1/4 pounds of corn sugar total to add so that means I would have too add that solution 8 times and then I would have 1/4 cup of corn sugar I would have to add left over. That would mean I would be adding additions for 4-5 days.

I called my local brew shop to get some advice on this and they said maybe do larger additions that would mean less times to add it. For instance, instead of 1/2 cup of sugar and 3/4 cup of water, maybe try 1 cup sugar and 1-1/2 cups of water, with 1 larger addition in one of the middle additions to make up for the extra 1/4 cup of corn sugar. That would mean I could get all the additions in over 2 days, maybe 3.

Hope that all makes sense. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has some experience and advice to make sure all goes smooth when we brew. Thanks in advance.

I am assuming this is a high gravity brew, right? When making something with an OG of over ~1.090, it is a good idea to stagger some of the sugar additions to give the yeast a chance to catch up. Sounds like you could just split it 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. Even do it all at once, it will be fine. Do you have room for that much extra liquid in your fermentor? You don't need that much water to dissolve it.

It says the starting gravity is 1.067, 1.088 with corn sugar. Final gravity at 1.021. ABV 9%, 90 IBUs. I think it should all fit. Our fermenter bucket is 6.5 gallons and our secondary carboy is 6 gallons.. At the end of our boil, we should only have 4.5 gallons, so I think adding the extra corn sugar solution will bring it up to 5 gallons.

Back