Corn Sugar for Ferocious IPA Extract Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgoldb1

Reaction score
The directions for my IPA say to add 5oz of corn sugar to my bottling bucket. When I do the calculations at an online calculator it says 3.06 oz. (86.6g). Which should I trust?

are the directions the generic instructions included with a kit? I'd trust the calculator personally. depends on your actual (not intended) volume, intended carb levels, etc....

Ok, I think I'm going to go with http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html and use about 3 oz. of corn sugar.

I used the following:

Enter the desired volumes of CO2 (American IPA): = 2
Volume = 5 gal.
Beer temperature at bottling (°F): 67*
-------------------------------------------
= 2.98 oz of corn sugar.

My question now is how do I determine how much 3 oz is without a scale? What would 3 oz of corn sugar equate to in cups?

I'm fermenting this kit right now. I was reading the instructions and also noticed the 5 oz of Corn Sugar, but it seems high. 3/4 of a cup is more like 3.5 oz of corn sugar, not 5.

What did you end up using? 3 oz? have you checked carbonations levels yet? How did it turned out?

I'm fermenting this kit right now. I was reading the instructions and also noticed the 5 oz of Corn Sugar, but it seems high. 3/4 of a cup is more like 3.5 oz of corn sugar, not 5.

What did you end up using? 3 oz? have you checked carbonations levels yet? How did it turned out?

2.0 volumes of co2 is very low for an IPA. I'd definitely go with 4 at the minimum, 5 ounces for a better carb leve.

I have a scale, and I'm not sure 3/4 of a cup is only 3.5 ounces, though. I'd still use a minimum of one ounce per gallon in an IPA, maybe more.

I've made several midwest kits and always used the full 5 oz, carbonation was always spot on. I mostly made brown and pale ales.

Thanks for the response guys.

Ok, I'm really confused now. Should I use 5 oz, 3/4 cup, or 3 oz? :)

dgoldb1, did yours finished carbonating yet? How did they come out?. What did you end up using?

I'm about 10 days away from bottling this.

Thanks!

3oz of corn sugar is plenty. IPA's are generally on the lower end of carbonation. I constantly use 2.5-3.5oz depending on the beer. I do use regular cane sugar though as well. I would suggest using 3-3.5oz of corn sugar. Once I started measuring my priming sugar out exactly I have been getting much better results!!

Just for reference, 3/4 cup comes out to be ~3.78oz. People are telling you 3oz and 5oz. I would go right in the middle at 4oz!

3oz of corn sugar is plenty. IPA's are generally on the lower end of carbonation. I constantly use 2.5-3.5oz depending on the beer. I do use regular cane sugar though as well. I would suggest using 3-3.5oz of corn sugar. Once I started measuring my priming sugar out exactly I have been getting much better results!!

I have to disagree. IPAs are generally carbed 2.2-2.7 volumes of CO2. Hardly the "lower end of carbonation" unless you compare it to a cask conditioned ale (which we Americans would consider pretty flat). Four ounces by weight would be good, but five wouldn't be out of line. One ounce per gallon is generally a pretty good estimate for most American style ales.

I have to disagree. IPAs are generally carbed 2.2-2.7 volumes of CO2. Hardly the "lower end of carbonation" unless you compare it to a cask conditioned ale (which we Americans would consider pretty flat). Four ounces by weight would be good, but five wouldn't be out of line. One ounce per gallon is generally a pretty good estimate for most American style ales.

Most all references that I see quote 1.5-2.3 Vol of C02. I have bought and used the 5oz packages for a while and never got good results. I alwasy had over carbonation which throws the flavor all out of whack. Since dialing my sugar in over the last year I have never had an issue with over carbonation. I do sometimes have to wait a bit longer for it to fully carb but the final result is worth the wait.

Most all references that I see quote 1.5-2.3 Vol of C02. I have bought and used the 5oz packages for a while and never got good results. I alwasy had over carbonation which throws the flavor all out of whack. Since dialing my sugar in over the last year I have never had an issue with over carbonation. I do sometimes have to wait a bit longer for it to fully carb but the final result is worth the wait.

Maybe English IPAs are listed as lower carbed than American IPAs on your references? Just a thought.

My references are BYO and the BJCP guidelines. http://byo.com/resources/carbonation is one link to BYO's suggested carb level. Not only that, I like them carbed at about 2.2-2.5 volumes for my own personal taste anyway.

Maybe English IPAs are listed as lower carbed than American IPAs on your references? Just a thought.

My references are BYO and the BJCP guidelines. http://byo.com/resources/carbonation is one link to BYO's suggested carb level. Not only that, I like them carbed at about 2.2-2.5 volumes for my own personal taste anyway.

Thats fine but 5oz will get you way over the 2.2-2.5 level. It really all comes down to what works best for each individual brewer. I can say for certainty though that I have dialed my carbonation in perfectly and do not use the method of 1oz per gallon. I would suggest to the readers find a priming calculator that works for you and sticking with it.

Thats fine but 5oz will get you way over the 2.2-2.5 level. It really all comes down to what works best for each individual brewer. I can say for certainty though that I have dialed my carbonation in perfectly and do not use the method of 1oz per gallon. I would suggest to the readers find a priming calculator that works for you and sticking with it.

I agree! With the priming calculator I use, 2.7 volumes at a fermentation temperature of 68 degrees would use 4.93 ounces of corn sugar. That works for me, but I've sucessfully used 4 ounces, too. Whatever works for each individual brewer is the best way to do it.

All great information here guys. Thanks!

It's been fermenting in the colder range of the scale at around 65 degrees. So, I'm going to use 3.75 oz to get me to the target 2.2 - 2.5 target volume for the style. I'll see how it come out and adjust accordingly for future batches.

I'll report back in this thread in a few weeks after carbonation is complete and share my findings.

Please do. I've always wondered how close their Furious kit is to the real Furious.

Wouldn't know how to compare. Never had the pleasure of having the real deal since it's not available here in GA. :mad:

If anyone wants to trade a couple with a local GA brew such as Sweetwater IPA that may not be available in your area, I'll be forever greateful. :mug:

No Furious here in Maryland either. If anyone is up for a trade, PM me...Lots of Dogfish Head here :)

Sorry for such a noob question but when we discuss ounces of sugar is it by weight (scale) or measurement like a teaspoon?
thanx

Latest posts

Back