Corn Grits Use (other than Cream Ale or Adj Lager)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Barrett

Reaction score
Got some corn grits I was considering brewing with but seems like only recipes including this are cream ales or adjunct lagers, which are pretty low on my list of favorites. What other styles could this be used for?

Saisons comes to mind. Tank 7 from Boulevard has a substantial amount of corn in the mash. Corn is also a traditional component of a Flanders Red grist. I also think there are some newer British styles that utilize corn - is British Golden one? Doesn't matter really - it could fit I to lots of styles.

Saisons comes to mind. Tank 7 from Boulevard has a substantial amount of corn in the mash. Corn is also a traditional component of a Flanders Red grist. I also think there are some newer British styles that utilize corn - is British Golden one? Doesn't matter really - it could fit I to lots of styles.

Thanks! I understand in small doses as an adjunct it can boost alcohol without much flavor contribution. My concern is at what threshold it imparts a “corny” flavor which I want to generally avoid.

Thanks! I understand in small doses as an adjunct it can boost alcohol without much flavor contribution. My concern is at what threshold it imparts a “corny” flavor which I want to generally avoid.
Tank 7, for instance, may have as much as 20% corn in the mash. In that beer I'm overwhelmed by the hops and the yeast profile - I couldn't pick out the corn.

My question would be, if you don't like corn flavors in your beer, why use it? Just because you can use an ingredient doesn't mean you have to.

I am considering using it because I like to tinker. I’m not sure I know what a corn flavor in beer tastes like. I read in a post that it is the smell/flavor of corn flakes. Coincidentally, I had Corn Chex this morning and gave it a real good sniff. I find the aroma and taste quite nice in breakfast cereal.

Tank 7, for instance, may have as much as 20% corn in the mash. In that beer I'm overwhelmed by the hops and the yeast profile - I couldn't pick out the corn.

My question would be, if you don't like corn flavors in your beer, why use it? Just because you can use an ingredient doesn't mean you have to.

[Edit -Mod]
I'm sure the OP knows that using the grits is not mandatory, they just want some suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only beer I've tasted corn in recently was a Fosters Premium Ale. Not that bad, just noticeable.

Check out Shut Up About Barclay Perkins for some traditional recipe ideas using corn-- typically flaked maize, but you could certainly utilize corn grits without much difference.

Many English Pale Ales (aka Bitters) used Corn, and some English Mild's too. Check out some of his Scottish recipes... IIRC William Younger LOVED Grits and used them in everything (strong ale, porter, bitter, etc).

Check out Shut Up About Barclay Perkins for some traditional recipe ideas using corn-- typically flaked maize, but you could certainly utilize corn grits without much difference.

Many English Pale Ales (aka Bitters) used Corn, and some English Mild's too. Check out some of his Scottish recipes... IIRC William Younger LOVED Grits and used them in everything (strong ale, porter, bitter, etc).

Maybe I could try out a Scotch Ale with some grits. Based on Ron's blog, there seems to be a wide variation in what the Scots actually brewed versus what is considered today to be a Scotch Ale.

Maybe I could try out a Scotch Ale with some grits. Based on Ron's blog, there seems to be a wide variation in what the Scots actually brewed versus what is considered today to be a Scotch Ale.
Corn adds very little flavor to beer while most if not all the sugars that are extracted from it are fermented out. Therefore it thins the body somewhat.

Please read up how to use grits in beer.
A cereal mash is needed. Even Flaked Corn benefits from a cereal mash or boiling for 20-30' before the mash. I speak from experience, often brewing Tank 7 inspired Saisons containing as much as 40% flaked corn in the grist.

Most people, even experienced beer judges may have a hard time detecting 10-20% of corn derived content in a beer. Even in those beers that aren't very assertive in flavor or aroma, such as Light Lagers. It's usually the lack of flavor (and body) that points to corn (or rice) adjunct used, in light of the amount of alcohol it contains.

Latest posts

Back