Corking a Jeraboam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaevaVeritas

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am wondering if anyone out there has any idea how to cork this bad boy. I have looked around the forum and found nothing. I am not really interested in buying a floor corker, but was hoping there was some sort of DIY method out there for corking a bottle this size. My ideal would be to find a champagne cork that would fit and then have a home made or purchased wire cage over the cork.

Thanks guys!
Andrew

photo-1.jpg

Sounds like you're going to cork a carbonated beverage. I have no suggestions for that. I'm just noticing that the top looks the same as a standard 1.5 L wine bottle. Do you know what was in it originally? I'm not so sure that it was designed to hold pressure.

And for a standard wine bottle corker, check out this bad boy. It works well enough. Not good, but not bad, just okay, and totally worth $10. I'd recommend a rubber mallet if you want to cork with #9 corks, but I've heard that #8 corks work without much difficulty.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/plastic-plunger-corker.html

I was told that it originally held heineken and its pretty damn heavy so it should hold pressure. I think its definitely the same size as a champagne bottle and a little larger than a wine bottle (by a couple of mm).

Here is a picture of the jeraboam and a standard 750 wine bottle:

photo-2.jpg

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/champagne-belgian-bottle-tips-291534/

You need something to compress the cork. Then you can quickly stick it in the bottle by hand. I bottle in 3L bottles quite often actually. Many of them used to be Heineken bottles but no matter what was in them a 3L champagne bottle is a champagne bottles and they can take some serious pressure.

Back