Cork Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderay

Reaction score
So I tested 1 bottle before corking and it went in, with just a slight bit sticking out above bottle. I fill a bottle and this is what I got. They are #9 corks and I'm using a double lever corker.... Any ideas how to get them in farther? The bottle is on its side, it's not filled up to cork.

image-1448585001.jpg

I can't tell from the pic, but it looks like you have wine all the way up to the bottom of the cork.

How long are the corks? Some are short, some long. Some corkers have adjustment screws so you can set the depth to match the cork used. Mine worked as is so I can only offer advise baces on book learning! Sorry!!

The wine isn't all the way up to the cork, the bottle is on its side for the photo. Unfortunately the corker did not come with instructions....

What model corker is it? There is a piston that pushes the cork through the compression funnel. The amount at which that piston goes downward can be adjusted by a screw on top of that piston. If you will send a pic of the corker I'll tell you where it is.

Here is a pic of my corker, I don't see anything in it to adjust. I just got it should I send it back?

image-4076892910.jpg

duderay said:
Here is a pic of my corker, I don't see anything in it to adjust. I just got it should I send it back?

What is the cork length?

Hmm...is there a screw in that metal sleeve at the very top? Put the corker on top of a bottle, then take a picture from the top side.

Other than that, I have no idea. Most I've seen and all I have used are adjustable.

Are you soaking/lubricating the corks in anything? I occasionally get a little cork sticking out of the top but that looks pretty excessive, also you have to make sure both arms are depressed all the way down until they will go no further. Should be flush/nearly flush every time with all kinds of different lengths. I do a quick 20-30min soak in sulfite solution and a few drops of glycerin so the action is smoother and you don't have to struggle as much.

I got the same corker with my starter kit. No matter what I did (moving the nut all the way) I could not get corks in much more than that. I read the reviews on midwest, where I got my starter kit, and others had the same issue with that corker. I only did one batch before I bought a floor corker. For that one batch I ended up using an exacto knife to cut the excess cork off.

Okay, thanks for all the input. I think I'll just try to send it back. Is there any risk of anything happening to the wine with the cork sticking out so much? Other than cosmetic?

If you have a rubber mallet, you can gently tap them down. Or a small piece of wood wrapped in a tea towel and and tap that down gently with a hammer.

I was a little concerned about not as much cork being in the bottle. It was my first batch and was worried that I didn't degas enough, but so far so good. I cut the excess off and used the shrink wrap cover things so it looks ok in the rack.

I have the same corker. Use 1 1/2" corks. Your corks are too long for this corker. The corkes you got are for aging a long time. Over three years. I'm not shure why you ended up with long corks and a short corker in a kit......

I think you filled the botttle up too high. You need a heaspace between the cork and the liquid. Fill it too high the cork will not sit in the bottle correctly. I had the same problem because i fill them too high. Try lowering the level a little and re cork it

I use the same corker. Use #8's, #9's are for floor corkers.

Looks to me that you have appropriate head space and the length of the cork looks fine.

The double lever corkers don't have much leverage, where the floor models do. That's all.

If you can get a hold of a floor corker, you can push the corks into the bottle a bit more. Or, if you only have a few to shove in, make a lever out of some wood to do it. I know mallets have been known to work, I just have a hard time slamming anything into a glass vessel full of something that took many moons to make.

I know with my corker, to get my #8 corks in all the way, I have to push the levers down before actually levering on them to get the yokes to grip the bottle low to push the cork into the bottle all the way. It's a cheap corker, but it works.

Number 9's at 1.5" long work perfectly in this corker. No problems going in or comming out.

i always use 3/4 space...i fill with a bottle filler till about 2 inches.
i cut off a funnel to my proper cap space, add funnel to bottle, add wine to the bottom of funnel..its perfect space every time.

Back