Coriander and Oranges

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TexasGuy

Reaction score
Is there a difference between brewing coriander and coriander bought in the bulk aisle from the grocery store?

Also, when prepping oranges for addition to a carboy, after zesting the orange, would it be better to run the oranges through my juicer before steeping? Or do I need to use the skin and pulp while avoiding the pith?

Thanks for your feedback...

Can't help with the oranges but the one time I bought coriander from a brew shop it was just whole coriander seeds, so the only potential difference is whether you get it from the grocery store whole or ground. If whole you need to crack it open. I just put it in a Ziploc bag and beat it with hammer.

I use whole coriander from the grocery store and grind . Well actually my son n law does the coriander while I watch lol

Whole coriander is the same no matter where you get it. Fresher is better and there’s an Indian variety that’s supposed to be nice for brewing, but I don’t have an Asian food market near me. It’s more oblong rather than round. I read somewhere grinding the coriander can make it a bit bitter so I crush it with s rolling pin.

For the oranges avoid the pith entirely. If you’re using the fruit cut it away from the pith before you dump it in the fermenter.

If you’re just looking for orange flavor in a beer, I recommend you peek at some of the posts in tinctures. I’ve had better luck with a coriander/ orange zest tincture after fermentation than adding that stuff to a boil or whirlpool.

I bought Indian coriander and it smells like fruit loops. I've used some in a hoppy wheat and then last week in a Belgian trit that is still in the fermenter. For oranges I only used the zest this time, but used the juice a different time in a blonde.

I just finished my boil... Used 9 pounds of DME instead of the six to try to raise the original gravity, and I’m waiting for it to cool down.

I used blood oranges from Central Market, I took the zest and the fruit and I whipped them up with my immersion blender.

For this batch I used coriander from the LHBS. I toasted it slightly before grinding it up with a pestle and mortar.

I did a 3 L starter. I’ll be giving the wort a shot of pure oxygen here in a minute, then I’ll give it another shot of O2 before I leave for work in the morning. I’ll let y’all know in about four to six weeks how it turns out...

Back