Copper fittings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noisy123

Reaction score
Hi,
Anyone know why I can't thread a 1/2" MIP barb into the 1/2" copper female adapter I sweated onto some copper pipe? It starts put won't tighten easily. I assumed the 74 cent copper male adapter would be for iron pipe and not garden hose or something. The threads look right too. Is there some subtle plumber-thing I'm missing?

Ignoring garden hose thread (GHT), check your original packages to see if you have a NPT - Normal pipe taper (also called FPT {female} and MPT {male}) and SPT - standard/straight pipe thread mismatch. An NPT barb won't tighten well in an female SPT.

Copper threaded fittings are often SPT because faucets are usually SPT.

Make sure that when you sweated the fitting on you didn't have solder run down into your threads.

+1 check all of the above..

I have a 1/2" pipe to 1/2" mpt copper fitting in my MLT and the 1/2" MPT is connected to a 1/2" FPT stainless connector... works like a charm!

Ignoring garden hose thread (GHT), check your original packages to see if you have a NPT - Normal pipe taper (also called FPT {female} and MPT {male}) and SPT - standard/straight pipe thread mismatch. An NPT barb won't tighten well in an female SPT.

Copper threaded fittings are often SPT because faucets are usually SPT.

I suspect you are right. The parts weren't labeled so they probably assume that if you know you need it, you know what you're getting.

when you said wont tighten well, do you mean it threads in at least 4 turns or so but wont seal? most threaded fittings need some teflon tape to seal properly.

Back