Coors lite Clone Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishhops

Reaction score
Has anyone come across a Coors lite recipe.
if so could you please post i would like to take a look at it Thanks!!

Aim for OG=1.075.
American Pilsner malt at 150 F for an hour.
0.25 oz cheap hops per 5 gallons for 90 minute boil.
Dilute with 50% mountain spring water to OG=1.040.
Cool and pitch your favorite lager yeast (I like 2206 and S-189).
Ferment 2-3 weeks at 50-55 F.
Rack onto a pair of dirty socks and condition another week.
Package as normal.

Last edited:
Has anyone come across a Coors lite recipe.
if so could you please post i would like to take a look at it Thanks!!
Hello, I see it's your first post.
Your question, under normal circumstances, might be considered joking.
What type of brewing are you doing?

Now if it was something exotic .... say, Leichtbier or tafelbier, would everyone be jumping through their butts to help this poor soul out?
I have no clue what sort of yeast or hops would go into making Coors Lite.

Not sure I want to, actually, but dagnabbit, the BMC lost souls should be pointed in the general direction.

Like the store. No one REALLY wants to brew this. Seriously.
But there is the "American Light Lager" recipe list. Some recipes are sophisticated - then there's the "desert cornholio" adjunct beer. Take a peek.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/forums/homebrew-lager-recipes.60/?prefix_id=25

Lite beers are very difficult to make as they show all the flaws in your brewing process. If it is one of your first beers then try something else that is more forgiving such as a pale ale.

As an aside I just got back from a 6 week trip to USA and Canada. I had around 40 different craft beers and the one that stood out the most was Bud Lite on tap. Was a flawless subtle clean beer.

As an aside I just got back from a 6 week trip to USA and Canada. I had around 40 different craft beers and the one that stood out the most was Bud Lite on tap. Was a flawless subtle clean beer.

I certainly have no doubt that the Bud Light absolutely 'stood out' the most. ;)

So I came back here looking for my recipe, which is sort-of legit. A guy on a cider forum who doesn't know anything about brewing beer asked for a Coors recipe. Here is what I came up with, for a nearly-all extract batch (extract plus steeping grains -- now this *is* legit -- should turn out great methinks):

1635979069348.png

Lotta cool guys in this thread. So cool they're above brewing a light lager and would rather make fun of a newcomer's beer tastes than support him in brewing his dream beer. Well, I for one am rooting for irishhops to brew the best Coors clone out there. Ain't nothing wrong with liking what you like. And the notion that lager is hard to brew, that's something people like to say, but I'd be willing to bet they go around parroting what other people say rather than trying it out themselves. Go brew some lager, temp control or not. You'd be surprised how great the results can be.

it's a shame it was before i joined, i would have been willing to sport the 30 pack...and actually come up with my best guess at a serious attempt...or at least say to make 'light' beer it's as easy as adding gluco to the fermenter...

get the wheels rolling on, all the different tastes that can be a 'light' beer....i drank a coors once like 15 years ago, it wasn't a light...but i'd say a lager with a dab of maybe 20L crystal in it would be close.....

edit: and you need like 3 vols of co2....not joking, that's serious....so if you get into kegging, get enough serving lines for the task of serving it....

Lotta cool guys in this thread. So cool they're above brewing a light lager and would rather make fun of a newcomer's beer tastes than support him in brewing his dream beer. Well, I for one am rooting for irishhops to brew the best Coors clone out there. Ain't nothing wrong with liking what you like. And the notion that lager is hard to brew, that's something people like to say, but I'd be willing to bet they go around parroting what other people say rather than trying it out themselves. Go brew some lager, temp control or not. You'd be surprised how great the results can be.
Worse than a cool guys are white knights that can't take a joke.

I'd love to brew a beer that millions of Americans drink every day. I agree. Never hate on a man because of his choice in beers. I built my business on beer the public wants to drink,

And the notion that lager is hard to brew, that's something people like to say, but I'd be willing to bet they go around parroting what other people say rather than trying it out themselves. Go brew some lager, temp control or not. You'd be surprised how great the results can be.
I think the point isn't that they are hard to brew (they absolutely are not) but it could be very discouraging if all of the flaws in the brewer's source water and process completely ruin their first brew.

This is just my opinion, but I am glad I started out in a more safe zone with pale ales and stouts before tackling something lighter and more delicate. By the time I started brewing lighter styles, I was more prepared to make the adjustments that I needed to after the first couple of disappointing batches.

I also have no real problem with someone wanting to brew a macro clone, but I would still encourage them to begin with something more forgiving and get a handle on the process first.

Worse than a cool guys are white knights that can't take a joke.

Agreed. Anyone who has spent even the smallest amount of time on this forum should know of the common jokes. *Making fun of American light lagers, despite the fact that most of us on here probably enjoy these beers. - I love Miller light. *Jokingly telling a noob that their beer is ruined, and to package it and send to them for disposal. I mean c’mon

Last edited:
Why brew it? Seems like it would be cheaper to just buy it.

they sell $2.50 30 packs now? ;) i really need to get out more often....back when i was a kid they wanted $20!! lol

:mug:

back onto a more serious note, maybe something like 6lbs 6-row, 4lbs white rice..8ozs flake corn...i'm not a hop expert, so hops of your choice.

i remember coors being some where like a budweiser, with a little miller in it. been a while though, oh and add gluco to the fermenter!

gluco is the magic instant light enzyme, just some in the fermenter!

maybe i just subconsiously want to revive this...because i want to brew a beer with lots of rice, and do a tag team 6-row, oat malt on it...for fun and curiosity!!

think with the huskiness of the oat malt should be better then rice hulls...maybe brown rice for the carmel charecter?

We know Budweiser is made with rice and Miller is made with corn. I’ve never seen much about what Coors uses. I went on their website and it does say corn syrup. So corn.

https://www.coorslight.com/en-US/our-beer
Do not use corn syrup from the supermarket, as these contain Vanilla flavor and you do not want that in your beer. I’d use corn sugar like you use for bottling.

I guess I always had a preference for the beers made with corn. I found Budweiser objectionable when I first started drinking beer. The only AB product I liked at the time was Busch. Whether there is something different about that, I don’t know. I always had a preference for Miller over Bud.

If I was going to try brew a Coors product it would be the Coors Banquet. I buy that at Christmas and holidays sometimes and it always goes over well.

Wyeast has the yeast you would want. Rocky Mountain Lager yeast. Gee, I wonder what the source could be for that yeast?

https://wyeastlab.com/yeast-strain/rocky-mountain-lager

Back in the late 90s the homebrew club I was part of did a fun event where we got 10 macro lagers together to see if people could tell the difference. We gave everybody a list of the 10 beers and gave out each beer in little sample cups with numbers on them.

As I recall, I got 6 out of 10.

2 of them were Heineken and Corona, so there you just had to guess which skunky beer was which. One was Rolling Rock and anybody who grew up in PA with that beer should be able to pick that one out. That was when it was still made in Latrobe. Budweiser is the only one made with rice so that one stands out.

There are slight differences but they are all very close.

It was a fun event. Worth trying for yourself.

Home malted corn makes a really nice lager. I prefer Pilsen 2007 but you could also just use US-05 at 52-55f or W34/70. A lightly kilned barley malt to corn malt ratio similar to the golden ratio works well... 61.8% barley to 38.2% corn... just round them to 62% to 38%.

Add amylaze enzyme or similar to either the mash and/or the fermenter if you prefer but try it without first.

If you can malt barley you can malt corn but you will need a mill that can handle the corn. Monster mill 2" Pro.

To my tastes malted corn > flaked corn, corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup in terms of taste when making beer.

https://www.wikihow.com/Malt-Corn

Nothing better than a frosted glass of home made lager with a bit of floating ice that has a mild, sweet taste of malt and corn with light hops in the background.

Busch is the Flagship beer of the AB brewery. It was a recreation of the Bavarian Lagers Mr. Busch grew up with. It was the first product brewed by AB and the product that put them on the map.

I have a feeling I’ll be a lot more valuable come trivia night after spending some time on this site!

Back