coors Keg ss or aluminum?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ellijo89

Reaction score
Im trying to get a keg for a boil kettle on craigslist. I just messaged a guy about one and asked if it is ss or aluminum. He says its a coors keg that he bought new from a pub not long ago and thinks it is aluminum. I was under the impression that almost all new kegs were ss? anyone know? or at least without doing some tests on it lol

haha all good to have that off the top of your head would be mighty impressive. i just asked the guy to weigh it so if anyone here does know weights would be much appreciated.

A stainless keg weighs about 35 pounds empty. I have never came across an aluminum one so I have no idea how much it weighs. Aluminum ones should be obviously lighter, guessing about 20-25 pounds maybe?

thanks on the weight. yeah i was just looking at that. how rounded is it? and what effect other then sight glass could this have? im just now searching pics of it.

i doubt you will ever actually find an aluminum keg in 1/2 barrel size... people report them, but the material is just not durable enough for what they experience handling wise with commercial kegs..... ppl think they are aluminum because of the color.. un-shined stainless will look that way. buy with confidence... or use it to negotiate the price down. Even if it was actually aluminum, it would still be worthwhile as a brew pot because it would have to be very heavy walled to survive handling.

My Coors keg is stainless and makes a fine brew kettle. It has a smaller footprint and fits on turkey fryers easily. I use mine side by side with a standard Bud keg.

1205091057a.jpg

sweet thanks alot guys. Ill wait for him responding with weight of it, but i will probably end up buying it one way or another.

ive heard that is an iffy method that doesn't always work. One way or another i bought it a few hours ago. thanks for all the replies guys. as usual much appreciated

Latest posts

Back