Coopers Irish Stout high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Varnas

Reaction score
Just bottled my Coopers Irish Stout. I used 1kg (2,2 lbs) brewferm amber DME +0,25kg (0,55 lbs) muntons extra dark DME. The fact that I used amber with stout was rookie mistake, I accidentally mixed up dark and amber DME.

But the issue is that the FG, that I expexted to go low (something like 1006-1008) stopped at 1018.
I used standard yeast that come with Coopers kit and did 2 fermentations.

Does anyone have an idea, what might have coused that?:confused:

DME! It is typical of extracts to stop a bit higher than we want. It could be aeration as well as yeast viability and yeast quantity tossed in the mix but the biggest culprit of high FG is extracts.

Cheers
Jay

It's funny that same company's Australian Pale Ale I made, using as well only 1kg DME with it, had FG 1006.
But I guess problem might have been then either the aeration or the yeast.

Varnas, what was your OG? I think that kit shoots for an OG of 1.046 which will give you an ABV of 3.68% Doing a web search on this Cooper's kit seems to reveal many brewers with high FG, even older threads here on HBT. You can always pitch a second strain of yeast and try to get better attenuation.

My OG was 1.055. I wanted to do about 6.5% stout, but its not too bad atm too, with FG 1018 it will be 5.1%, after carb.
Anyway, I guess next time I should measure FG after airlock stops and see if FG is ok or not.

My OG was 1.055. I wanted to do about 6.5% stout, but its not too bad atm too, with FG 1018 it will be 5.1%, after carb.
Anyway, I guess next time I should measure FG after airlock stops and see if FG is ok or not.

Sounds like it will turn out fine, not as dry but a little more malty... good beer either way:mug:

Yes I've already bottled it. But I was thinking of it, to give it a gentle stir and see if it starts to bubble again. Would it be good idea to give it a try next time if something like this happens?

Back