Coopers IPA minus dry malt and dextrose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benbr

Reaction score
First time brewer here.

It says "for best results" to add these but are they necessary? Its not clear.

I think I could use sugar for the dextrose/sucrose, but the DME?

I'm abroad so these things are tricky to get - I'm kicking myself for not getting when in UK!

Thanks!

Check out the bakeries for DME. It is used in baking for the sugar content and adding color to baked goods, such as bagels.

I've been wondering if the stuff the bakeries use is the same as the DME we use? I thought it might have other things added to it?

I've been wondering if the stuff the bakeries use is the same as the DME we use? I thought it might have other things added to it?

That is something I should have added. The label needs to be checked. In Breiss products, one of the Maltoferm branded DME contains corn with the malted barley. CBW branded products are all barley, barley and wheat, or barley and pilsen malt.
The food grade is Malto ferm.

Thanks both very much.

I've tracked down DME online,7
though only in 25kg bags, so I'll ask a bakery.

They also sell 1kg batches of Maltodextrin. Any use for anything?

Maltodextrin is only 5% fermentable tops. It's used to give the beer more body & a creamier taste. Go for the DME if you can.

Maltodextrin is only 5% fermentable tops. It's used to give the beer more body & a creamier taste. Go for the DME if you can.

Thanks both, I'll let you know how I get on - I'm optimistic.

DME is less susceptible to maillard reactions. That is to say, darkening & that extract twang mentioned occasionally on here.

Thanks. I've tracked down Maltexco here in Turkey so I'm just trying to get it in a quantity less than 25kg...

So a lovely man at a distribution company here sent me 1kg of Ireks DME for free - didn't even charge for P&P!

Back