Coopers dark ale to hot after top off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaos

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I had a question to ask. I just brewed my second batch ever. It was a coopers dark ale with 1.3 kg of light plain dme and when i topped off my temp was still at 116f, so of course i didn't panic. But after about 25 mins sitting in a ice water bath and a few ice cubes dropped in the wort i finally got the temp down to around 85. i had the fermentor covered with a sanitized lid between stirring to move the water around. Should i have any concern of leaving it sit that long or am i just worring myself over nothing? :mug:

the time lapse is fine.
what temp is it fermenting at?

for next time, use more ice, colder water or whatever to get the cooled wort in the 60's before pitching yeast.
The yeast will give off flavors fermenting at 85.

I have my johnson setting at 74f right now actually had to put a blow-off on this morning very violent ferment.

brewit2it: i actually did that ..just got my amber ale into bottles about 7 days ago and needed to do a taste test anyway.

khaos said:
I have my johnson setting at 74f right now actually had to put a blow-off on this morning very violent ferment.

I would turn the controller below 68*... why 74*?
It is violent bc it is too hot.

brewit2it: i actually did that ..just got my amber ale into bottles about 7 days ago and needed to do a taste test anyway.

Cool mate! Just in case you missed it, I was answering your question when you asked what does RDWHAHB mean; Relax, don't worry.....

74° is pretty warm. Check the optimum temperature range for the yeast you are using and stay at the cold end of that range. High temperatures are much more likely to lead to off flavors than colder temperatures.

I ferment all my ales in the low to mid sixties and they all come out great.

Oh shoot guys i'm sorry i forgot to include what yeast i'm using with this batch. Its the coopers yeast that came with the kit. they say between 68f to 80f so that's why i have it set at 74f. I have a pack of muntons std yeast i was going to use but decided to try the coopers just to expand my understanding of what yeasts like what temps. again really sorry i didn't included the yeast in my first post.

Cool mate! Just in case you missed it, I was answering your question when you asked what does RDWHAHB mean; Relax, don't worry..... lol my bad brew. but i have learned alot from my first batch. there is no need to worry just relax and think. most important thing a homebrewer can do. Oh and grab another homebrew.

I would only ferment certain belgian yeasts at that high a temperature (74*), since you want the fruitiness off flavors for those yeasts.
Coopers is just a neutral ale yeast, nothing special about it. Same for Munton's. You do not want their off flavors which can come from being fermented too high.
Since you have a temperature controller, I would drop the temperature down to 62*-66*. Anyways, enjoy!

Midfielder: hey sounds good i will start the process of dropping the temp back to around 66*

Hey guys thought i would give you all a peek at the final product on this dark ale.. its been in the for almost a month and a half now

ForumRunner_20120712_130433.jpg

Back