Cooling wort outside?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbshopplf

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's 10 deg outside. After my boil this AM, I'm tempted to cover the pot and set it out on my patio to cool it, closely monitoring the temp. I'm concerned there's a great reason to not do this, so I'm asking. :)

I've never stuck hot wort outside, but I regularly put a sealed fermentor on the porch to cool the pitching temps

But now that I think about it, most people brew outside, so......

Go ahead and do it... that's how I cool mine down. Last one took ~4 hrs @ 19° to chill 5 gal to pitching temp.

I've never stuck hot wort outside, but I regularly put a sealed fermentor on the porch to cool the pitching temps

But now that I think about it, most people brew outside, so......

I used to do it this way.

I don't think there would be an issue if you just stuck the pot outside but make sure you keep the lid on it.

I would think putting a covered pot outside would take forever to go from boiling to 65.Even in 10 deg weather

Go ahead and do it... that's how I cool mine down. Last one took ~4 hrs @ 19° to chill 5 gal to pitching temp.
Isnt the entire idea of a chiller to cool wort as fast as humanly possible to lessen the chances of an infection? Why go from from a 20 min chiller to 4 hours outside?

Isnt the entire idea of a chiller to cool wort as fast as humanly possible to lessen the chances of an infection? Why go from from a 20 min chiller to 4 hours outside?

Don't have one (but I'm making one this weekend)... some people brew with the no-chill method.

My Dad used to put everything in the fermenter, seal it up and let it sit at room temp overnight and pitch the next day. He always made great beer.

My hose water comes out cold. I hook the wort chiller to the hose, cover the put most of the way with a lid (the wort chiller pushes it up, too) and run it for about 20 minutes to cool. I've never had an infection, if that's what you're worried about.

Was talking with my boss about just throwing the kettle in a snow bank. He argued against it due to insulation of the snow, I argued for it saying that eventually it'll cool down anyways.

My one concern applying it directly to snow would be the potential for the metal to warp in some way.

My hose water comes out cold. I hook the wort chiller to the hose, cover the put most of the way with a lid (the wort chiller pushes it up, too) and run it for about 20 minutes to cool. I've never had an infection, if that's what you're worried about.

Was talking with my boss about just throwing the kettle in a snow bank. He argued against it due to insulation of the snow, I argued for it saying that eventually it'll cool down anyways.

My one concern applying it directly to snow would be the potential for the metal to warp in some way.

What? Like this?

245155d1419855495-extract-centennial-blonde-ish-start-finish-downsized_1228041654.jpg

Works fine.

I chill mine outside and so far have no issues. View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1420823205.323476.jpg
Sometimes I throw an unused garbage over it if the wind is really blowing so it does not blow the lid off I had one outside 2 days ago it was in the teens and windy and it took about six hours to cool down to 60.

When it was in the 30s I would let it sit overnight and usually the next morning it would be ready.

If it's to warm out I'll just let it get down to around 80 or so and then throw it in my fridge till its ready.

Back a few years ago when I lived in WI I would set it outside in the snow and never had an issue with my Polarware pot.

Would give it a stir now and then and add more snow around the pot.

Worked fine.

I sometimes dump the boiling wort right into the fermenter bucket and set that outside to cool. The hot wort will pasteurize the lid and I put just a little Starsan in the airlock so it can't suck back in but all the air going back in as it cools has to bubble through the Starsan. It might take 4 to 6 hours to cool, depending on the temperature and the wind.

Thanks so much for the comments. First time brewing in my new home. Never thought about the impact of replacing all our faucets with non-traditional fixtures (no way to connect with my chiller), until I'd already started boiling. At one point today, I'd slung a garden hose out the window, connected to an exterior spigot. Tested the system = perfect. After the boil, tried to run the water = water in the hose was already frozen. Finally realized I have one traditional faucet inside (of a total of six sinks), down in the basement. Wort transport went fine. Hopefully no contamination. Thanks again, all. I was prepared to set it outside and forget it.

Back