Cooling wort in fermenter bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twistr25

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a weldless valve kit for my boil kettle, but given apartment space restrictions and a crappy IC, I use my rope tub to help cool down the wort. If I add the valve, the pot will no longer fit in the tub, barely does now. Could I drain the freshly boiled wort into a sanitized ferment bucket, cool it down as usual and just pitch straight into it? Obviously will need to try to aerate as well.

IC = ?

Tough to say if you already have the bucket in a bunch of cold water. Try it with just water next time you need to do laundry or something and see what happens.

Also, it seems the only way it would work well is if the bucket is already in water, but if that's the case, you'll need something holding it down while it fills

Immersion Chiller

Well my plan would be to fill the bucket first, move it to my rope tub and effectively "swamp cooler" it while the IC is running, which is what I do now for my boil kettle. So the only thing I want to do is replace my primary bucket for my boil kettle in the cool down process.

Just a guess, but I'll bet "IC = ?" means, what are you using for an IC.

Length, diameter, water temperature...

The data sheets for hdpe plastics say the material can handle 220 longterm, and 248 for short timeframes. Based on that I feel like your plan should work, but it's probably worth it to test it with boiling water first. Way better to lose the bucket then the bucket and all of your wort.

Sorry I didn't look at the msds prior to my comment. Though personally I would just get a better working IC or knock the heat down with your current IC before transferring to the bucket.

You should be fine. I've seen posts on here where people boil in a bucket with a heatstick. One issue is that plastic is much less conductive than metal, so the rope tub won't help as much, and it will probably take longer to cool.

IC is not very efficient, some scrap copper tubing that my dad got from the plumber on his job. I doubt it's 25 feet.

If the chiller is fed by a garden hose you could try coiling the hose In a bucket of ice water once the temp starts to come down, should speed up your cooling time significantly.

Get a longer copper tubing. 50 feet. Costs 40 bucks here. Coil two spirals one inside the other, one larger, one narrower. Cold water won't cool your wort down fast enough, while your new IC will get your wort down to pitching temps in 10-15 min., depending on your water temp.

I am not a plastic paranoid, but I try to avoid contact with plastics at high temps.

Good luck and happy brewing!

Unfortunately, it is just out of my kitchen sink being in an apartment.

Getting a longer coil would be ideal, but I just dropped ~$1200 or so building my kegerator, and the IC works just not really well, so I'm trying to hold off on the further purchase. I'd still use the IC in the bucket that's in the water bath.

My main question I guess is putting the hot wort into my fermenter.

Latest posts

Back