Cooling wart before dumping into fermenter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happydad1689

Reaction score
I have been out of brewing for a while but recently jumped back in, I do not have a way to cool my wort quickly like I used to. I sometimes would dump hot wort straight into my Ale pail all but this time I purchased a clear fermenter not thinking about if it could handle the hot wort. See pic attached

How cool should wort be before dumping into this?
IMG_1965.JPG

The spec says the upper limit is 140F, but I wouldn't push it and go that high.

As above, standard PET is 140F. Heat resistant PET can go as high as about 190F, but if you don't know if it's heat resistant, you'll need to assume 140F maximum (and as LR said, to be safe stay under than). You could try a reduced volume boil, and dump ice ice in to get to around 140F.

I have been out of brewing for a while but recently jumped back in, I do not have a way to cool my wort quickly like I used to. I sometimes would dump hot wort straight into my Ale pail all but this time I purchased a clear fermenter not thinking about if it could handle the hot wort. See pic attached

How cool should wort be before dumping into this?View attachment 622254
I'm would do either partial volume boils and top off with water, or ice bathe the kettle. That's what I used to do before I had an immersion chiller

Definitely go the ice bath route. I've never melted a big fermenter, but my poor little 1st Mr Beer barrel melted into oblivion when I decided to bypass chilling and pour the hot wort directly into it. Or you could go the "no-chill" route; let your wort sit overnight, and pitch the next morning. There are tons of threads on here regarding no-chill. I've done it a few times myself, and it works, as long as your process is solid. Search no-chill beer brewing, and it will take you there.

Back