Cooling After Kegging Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PakDat

Reaction score
Is it necessary to cool the keg after placing the homebrew in the keg?

It's my first time to keg my homebrew and I don't have space in the fridge. I can place it in the basement where the temp is around 75°F during the day and 70°F at night. I've seen many videos and read articles placing the keg in the fridge to pace up the carbonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you're trying to carb it with priming sugar, room temp will do the best job. If you are force carbing with cO2, the cooler the better. That said, it will still work at warmer temperatures, it will just take longer/more pressure...

^ this except that when you carb with sugar you need it at room temp as opposed to it just being better; it would take eons (if it ever does) for it to carb at cold temps with sugar. When I have no room for a new keg I will carb with about 50% of the needed dextrose and just leave it sitting around my house. I do purge it with co2 a few times first though.

So if I use the 5oz priming sugar for the 5 gallon batch to carb the beer. Is it alright to put CO2 into the keg to take the oxygen out?

I'll be serving the beer with CO2.

Just put it on for a minute, pull the purge valve a few times to get rid of the O2 in the headspace then you can take it off. Assuming good sealed poppits it'll carb up from the priming sugar....

Awesome! Thanks everyone for the help and info.

Back