Cooling a Cold Storage Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir_niveda

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So in the shed that I brew in there is a cold storage room, I didn't start checking the temps in there until early this spring when I was able to easily keep it at 65*F with an STC-1000 and the tiniest of space heaters.

Well the last couple weeks we had a heat wave of 100* days for almost a week, sending the temp up as high as 78* (at least the highest that I saw).

So now I need to figure out how to cool it in there. Anybody have any ideas as to the most economical way to do it (portable ac unit)? Do I have to worry about humidity and condensation (it does have a small vent through the ceiling and I live in a very dry area),
is a chest freezer just simply the easier way to go?

Thanks everyone!

PS sorry for the sideways pics, also all the clutter will be removed if it's operating as a fermentation chamber full time)

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0151.jpg

IMG_0152.jpg

Cooling the entire volume of an uninsulated shed is going to cost way more than just picking up a large fridge (hopefully from Craig's List or some place similar for small money) capable of holding whatever number/size of fermentors you desire.

I'm not sure a chest freezer would be better than a large fridge. The former typically uses the cabinet skin to radiate heat, while the latter typically uses active cooling (condenser with fan). I expect the latter would handle extreme heat better than the former...

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses!

Just to clarify, the cold storage room is inside the shed (the storage room used to be a canning storage room), and I know it's hard to tell from the sideways pictures, but the door to it is about a foot thick (definitely has insulation), all the other sides are about the same. This would be used for ale fermentation 65* for mainly safale us-05.

The electricity supplied to the shed is just one 20amp breaker, so I'm trying to limit my energy consumption to seasonally having to cool/heat the cold storage room, one fridge for lagering/cold crashing, and one keezer.

The goal is to have my cold side infrastructure able to handle as much as a 15 gallon batch, which will probably be done with multiple carboys and maybe one speidel fermentor, as most batches will be 10-15 gallons ale, a 10 gallon lager batch, or maybe a 5 gallon double or triple batch..

Oh, and I am currently located east of sacto, in the foothills, constantly scanning Craigslist for the other two fridges I may need. :)

A portable AC unit would probably not get down to 65F and you'd need to cut a hole in the wall and supply a vent to the outside. A big fridge is a better idea.

Cool thanks guys for the input, I thought maybe the AC unit would work, but just wanted to ask before plunking the money on one.

Perhaps I'll do one of those mini fridge expansion box builds, I just don't see being able to fit three 6.5 carboys in a standard upright fridge.

If one of the walls is an outside wall of the shed why not just cut a hole and put a window unit in it. Plenty of people make walk in coolers this way using a coolbot to control the temp.

Back