Cooler Thermothingy for Dial Thermometer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy2000

Reaction score
Midwest supplies has a 'Cooler Thermothingy for Dial Thermometer' fitting in their clearance section.
The Weld-B-Gone Thermothingy Bulkhead fitting allows you to add your dial thermometer to kettles. Works with a regular 1/8" to 3/16" stem like our dial thermometer. The use of this product requires a small hole to be drilled into your kettle. Thermometer not included.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/weld-b-gone-thermothingy.html
Sounds like a good idea to me. I just bought an Igloo cooler to convert into a mash tun, and was considering the advisability of drilling a small hole through it to insert a dial thermometer; I figured a tight friction fit would probably be enough to keep it from leaking.

But this is a better solution, and I'm surprised to see the gadget apparently didn't sell well (or it wouldn't be on clearance...). Original price was $12.99, and I'd have willingly paid that. But I like the clearance price of $3.85 even better, especially since I added it to an order that was large enough to qualify for free shipping.

If I were to tell you that the nipple included with that bulkhead is nowhere near long enough to fit a thick cooler wall are you going to blow a microchip?

Cheers! ;)

I think you meant this one: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/kewler-thermothingy.html
The one you linked was for HLT/BK. It might work if you mate it to the interior wall of the cooler by cutting a larger shallow hole in the exterior wall.
I just installed a dial thermometer in my Home Depot 10 Gal cooler using that process. The thread length was a little short for the task and it leaked several times until I got the right size washers and was just able to catch the thread with the nut.
mash-tun-63060.jpg

I used to use the long throw probe from the top and replaced it with a shorter one
mash-tun-interior-63061.jpg

I like having a thermo through the wall, especially when I'm sparging/mashing out. I kept killing the Oneida digital remote meat probes by getting them wet. I haven't documented the different readings I get from the two locations, but I think I was mashing higher than I thought and sparging lower than I thought

Play nice- children! The description does specify use with a kettle!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

True - and if I can't make it work on a cooler, I'll promptly post the info - giving specifics, instead of simply saying, 'what if I told you....":

But realistically speaking, how hard can it be to add a fitting or two and extend it through a thicker wall?

I checked my order. Looks like I ordered the right thermothingie, then linked to the wrong one when I started this thread. Ah well... yesterday was my first day off in a while, and I was heavily into my homebrews. I guess I'm lucky I didn't accidentally order a whole Igloo mash tun or some such.

I'll probably order a thermothingie for my kettle too, next time I buy something from them.

I came back in to delete a couple of my more obnoxious posts; I wasn't exactly covering myself with glory yesterday. But it looks like a moderator may have beaten me to them? Or maybe I deleted them already and forgot I had done so.

Latest posts

Back