Cooler mod question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave T

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
just finished cutting and installing sparge manifold in a rectangle cooler. As it is now, the hole is about 1” above the bottom. Is this just lost volume that I should be unconcerned with, or do I need to find a spacer?

i built a sparge manifold too. it lasted about one batch. i just batch sparge and dump n drain method. works just fine. simplicity.

Yeah, I’m thinking the manifold was a fun experiment and looks cool, but I think I’m going to pull the manifold and use a paint bag as a strainer. Think I have a discharge filter I can use as well if the mesh is top big.

Yeah, I’m thinking the manifold was a fun experiment and looks cool, but I think I’m going to pull the manifold and use a paint bag as a strainer. Think I have a discharge filter I can use as well if the mesh is top big.

You may find you want a torpedo screen under that bag. The bag is a good idea, but you need to have a large enough surface area to drain it; if you only have a 1/2" hole, pretty easy for the grain in the bag to pack against that and there you are, stuck.

This is what I'm talking about:

tun2.jpg

Hi thanks, saw one of those at beer store, will pick one up next time I’m there. In the meantime I’m going to stick one of the pieces of tubing on the inside of the cooler to help alleviate that, thanks for the tip.

Back