Cooler mash tun has a crack. Seeking ideas on how to fix or patch it.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bennypapa

Reaction score
I got this tun in a lot of used equipment I bought. It was thrown in for free. I would like to make use of it but the crack in the inner liner causes it to leak and I can't even imagine what would grow in the wort that would inevitably make its way into the spaces between the inner and outer shell.

I'm seeking ideas on way of fixing it.
With the bulkhead removed the crack is about 5/8" for what that's worth.

Thanks.
oPOzLJH.jpg

Maybe silicone seal around the howl with a wide Stainless Washer? This would also help beef up the area to prevent further cracking.

The beer would be safe in any case since you are going to boil it after mashing anyway. I doubt you would have trouble with any decent sealing option.

Try to get some of the silicone behind the crack too. So dig it out a little if you can.

Clean/prep surfaces with acetone before applying.

plastic weld ….Harbor Freight and others have kits but they are more expensive than buy a new cooler. Check around at kayak shops (as they weld to repair plastic kayaks) and automotive shops (bumper cuts/scratches are removed).

Back