cooler mash tun: best solution for quick/easy manifold removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Publius

Reaction score
Hey all, hoping you can help me come up with the best fittings for a problem I'm having. On my 10 gal igloo cooler that serves as my MT, I currently have a typical setup that involves a male threaded barb fitting which protrudes to the outside of my cooler wall and threads directly into a female threaded ball valve.

My issue is, i would like a more convenient way to quickly remove the hose barb fitting on the inside of my MT and quickly attach a different fitting. The reason for this is I use the same cooler as the vessel for a water fermentation chiller similar to the one shown here:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/water-fermentation-chiller-81501/

So after the mash is done I want to be able to quickly pull off my manifold and replace it with a length of flexible pvc tubing. I already do this now, but its somewhat of a PITA because I have to reapply thread tape and re-check the seal on my bulkhead every time I make the switch.

Ideally I would like to use QD fittings or cam locks on the inside of my MT, but I'm not sure if they are designed to be submerged completely in a liquid such as would be the case when I was mashing and operating my water fermentation chiller.

If stainless QDs or cam locks are a no-go, any recommendations that would at least save me from having to constantly apply new thread tape every time I unscrew my hose barb from my ball valve?

Latest posts

Back