Cooler HLT wiring problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshehansen

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I built a HLT using a rectangular cooler, installing a hot water heating element in the side. No visible leaks anywhere (nice tight fits + high-temp silicone caulk). I'm using it this morning for the first time.

However, electricity scares me. Now that the system is plugged in and heating, what's the best way to use my voltmeter (pictured) to make sure that I'm not going to get electrocuted when I touch the ball valve?

When I measure resistance (Ohms), I get NO continuity between the ball valve and either of the terminals on the heating element. I do get continuity when touching one lead to each of the two heating element terminals, which makes sense to me.

IMG_1299.JPG

IMG_1301.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

Last edited:
Is this plugged into a GFCI protected outlet? If so, then you are good to go. Out of curiosity, what is the voltage and wattage of your heater?

Brew on :mug:

A GFCI is a good idea - necessary, even.

The wattage question is a good one, because either the photograph of the HLT interior is misleading, or that's a pretty small 120vac element for so large a vessel...

Cheers!

Thanks for the replies.

It is on a GFCI outlet. The element admittedly looks puny in there, but it got 8.5 gallons to 170 degrees in less than an hour, so I'm satisfied with it. It's 1500W/120V.

Back