Cooler Conversion (Chiller Water Recirculation)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmendick

Reaction score
I'm looking to add a slightly quicker pump to my wort chiller water recirculation setup, but the new pump is not submersible.

I would like to add a drain port/bulkhead to the bottom area of the cooler, and since it is never going to be in contact with the wort I'm skipping stainless and looking for a brass or plastic solution that I can put together from parts at Lowes/Home Depot.

Does anyone have a list of parts for something like this?

I have a similar setup to what you describe using a 500gph livewell pump. The pump is designed to recirculate water in a livewell on a fishing boat (as opposed to drawing water in from outside the boat). I removed the drain on my 50qt cooler and with a little trial and error mounted the pump directly to the cooler. Runs on 12v and doesn't draw much power. I use my trolling motor battery on brew day to power the pump and then recharge it, but you could easily adapt a 1amp wall wart.

I then fill the cooler with water and use the pump to recirculate through my immersion chiller. I use ice or frozen water bottles in the cooler as needed.

Back