Cooler Box Mash Temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eucrid

Reaction score
Plan on doing my first mash tomorrow. The mash calls for 164 degrees. If I preheat my cooler box how much hotter should my strike water be going in to hold at 164 for the hour?

164 is likely the temperature of the water to start with prior to adding grain, (strike temp) and not the rest temp where you want to mash for the hour? I have never heard of a mash rest temp that high. A strike temp of 164 would likely yield a mash in the mid-high 150's, that is more reasonable...

Simple strike temp calculator here....
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Use that calculator.
The weight of grain and the type of cooler play a role in the temperature of the strike water.
A safe bet is 10-15 degrees hotter and then stir WELL!
If you need to, add a couple of ice cubes to bring the temp down to 154.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'll add 2 gallons of my strike water and let it slosh around some to heat the tun, then take its temp. if it's not up to where Beersmith says it should be, I'll drain half, add that back to the kettle to heat it up more.

keep doing that as needed until the temp stabilizes at strike temp before I add my grains

Back