Cooled wort transfer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonlor20

Reaction score
Alright, I have searched but I can't find the answer:

I am looking to buy some plastic conicals that will fit nicely into my fermentation chamber. I am looking to move to a cip system for them. However, the chamber is on the opposite wall from my brewing area. I am looking to hard-plumb tubing from the brewing area to the fermentation chamber and through the wall where I would switch to flexible silicone tubing matching what I already use to fill one of the 3 chambers depending on what's empty at the time. All pushed by a pump.

My question is, for room temp wort, is the pvc rigid tubing (often used for potable water in homes) good in this application? It will never see high temperature. I have other dreams of piping water over from the opposite corner of the garage to fill the kettle and run the counter-flow if I can find a good cheap solution for moving cool temperature liquid in a food safe way.

Thanks!
Scott

Yeah, to your point, I decided to go another direction - I finally broke down and am getting rid of my quick disconnects from mcmaster-carr in favor of some cam lock fittings for my whole system. When I need to, I will link up my hoses and run them across rather than use a permanent solution.

I loved the idea of hooking up and running the beer, but I would have hated the idea of what I was running the beer through in the end. I trust my hoses, and after some new fittings, I will love my hoses. Problem solved. Thanks.

Back